first time brewing, making perry, experimenting, suggestions wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kcmfg

Reaction score
So my 4 pear trees produced a bunch of fruit this year so I decided to make some perry. I'm new to brewing and have never done this before. Read a lot and researched and decided to experiment with different batches.
Pear varieties (guessing):
Green Anjous
Bartlett
Seckels

Batch 1:
Attempting pear wine,
mix is 70% seckel and 30% bartlett
just under 1 gallon of juice.
OG of 1.045, added sugar to bring OG of 1.070
used Red Star Champagne yeast
added pectic enzyme
Process: juiced pears, added campden tablet and pectic enzyme and let sit 24 hours. Pitched yeast and yeast nutrient and fermentation started right away and stopped after only 3 days. Racked into secondary and got a SG of 1.008. Trying to figure out what to add to fill headspace (carboy only 3/4 full). This is where I'm at right now.

Batch 2:
Attempting Pear cider.
mix is 60% seckel and 40% bartlett
2 gallons of juice
OG of 1.048, did not add any sugar
used Red Star Champagne yeast
added pectic enzyme
Process: crushed pears in bucket with wood block, added campden tablet and pectic enzyme and let sit 24 hours. Added more campden tablets and let sit another 24 hours. Didnt add anything and let sit another 24 hours.. (was waiting for fruit press to arrive) Finally pressed juice and pitched yeast and yeast nutrient. Fermentation may have already started before pressing. Was bulbing in airlock right after adding yeast and putting lid on. Checked this morning and its slowly fermenting.

Batch 3:
Attempting Pear cider.
mix is 100% seckel
4 gallons of pommace
Process: used meat grinder to crush pears, sat the last 3 days waiting for press, going to press tonight. It start bubbling last night so I put more campden in and stirred. Thinking of using nottingham ale yeast on this one.. not sure though.

I still have over 100 lbs of pears and some apples that I need to mill and press.. and I have 4 different yeasts available to try. White labs English cider, Nottingham Ale, Lavlin ICV K1V-1116, Lavlin EC-1118, and more Red star champagne.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what my other batches can consist of? I don't know how I should split up these others...

Any suggestions or tips are welcome, I'm a newb.

I also have about 20 lbs of granny smith apples, 3 lbs of mcintosh apples, and a little bit of crabapples, I want to make one hard cider batch with these.

Updates...

Batch 1:
finished up at 1.000, racked into carboy, put a campden tablet in and then racked again in to bottles and capped and then put in fridge. Hoping they cold crash and stop fermenting. Taste was super dry and sour/tart bitter. Going to add some acid blend and wine tanning and put back into half gallon carboy with air lock and let sit for another month and then rerack. Going to age this at least 6 months..

Batch 2:
airlock was pretty inactive so I racked into carboys and checked sg, read 1.004. So I put in campden and sorbate and put into fridge to crash. Has a clearer look to it, probably because it sat longer and was not juiced, went through fruit press.

Batch 3:
Checked SG, was at 1.010 and was still a little active, I wanted a sweeter perry so I racked into 3gal carboy and put in sorbate and campden, also put this into fridge with airlock. Water in airlock never changed level after putting in fridge, wondering if it is still fermenting out or not. will check soon in a day or two.

Batch 4:
used the rest of the pears I had, this was the biggest batch. I used all three varieties of pears I had and made up 8 gallons of pomace/must. Pitched campden and pectic enzyme and let sit 24 hours. Pressed and made almost 5 gallons of juice. Juice has a nice light color. OG was 1.056 and pitched Nottingham Ale yeast with some yeast energizer. Fermentation started good next day and has been going for a few days. Checked SG last night and it was at 1.023. It tasted pretty good and sweet but had a alcohol taste and some sour to it. I tested a little acid blend in it and it seemed to help, so I will probably add some acid blend and wine tannin to some of this batch. I am going to attempt to stop the fermentation today and hoping the SG will be around 1.013 - 1.018 range. Im planning on racking, putting campden and sorbate in and then putting in the fridge to cold crash.

Batch 5:
??? still have about 30 lbs of granny smith apples, 5 lbs of Mcintosh (or empire?), and a pound or less of crabapple sitting in bags that I need to mill and press still.. Not sure what recipe to use yet or which yeast.

Am I wasting my time trying to cold crash this stuff? Will it still ferment out even in the fridge or what? This is my first time doing this... I have read and heard different opinions on cold crashing, some saying it works and others saying it doesnt.

Fruit press and Batch 4, the day after pitching yeast.

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

Update of batch 4: I saved a few bottles and after a year and a half of aging in a bottle, I just tried one. It tasted really good, way better than it did back when I drank most of it around 3-6 months old. No off flavors, just clean flavors. Almost like a semi dry white wine but lower alcohol and hints of pear. A little tartness but not much. I was impressed. This has convinced me to age them at least a year from now on. Ill be doing another perry this year like batch 4 and just mixing all varieties together and cold crashing. Then age in a bottle for a year. I also might try kegging some since I now have a keg system.

Lucky you to have that many pear and apple trees!

Thanks for the information. I plan to buy a place with larger acreage soon and then find out how to get some pear trees going. Right now, my two apple trees are doing VERY will in their 3rd summer in the ground. I have over 3 dozen apples on them and they are barely over 6 feet tall. I'll be check this post in about September.

Back