Guinness Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
I read today that Guinness has been trail tasting a Guinness lager in some parts of the U.S.A. to try to capture more of the American market. Has anyone seen it anywhere? If so is it on pare with their world famous Guinness Stout, or is it more of a marketing scheme to widen their brand?

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

Is it the Guinness Black Lager? If so, I have had some. I have to say I was not too impressed. Definitely not a beer in the same class as their Irish Stout. Beer Advocate ranks it a "C"

Wiki knows all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_Black_Lager

"Guinness is famous for its dry stout which originated in Dublin. The purpose of the new product is to open up new streams of revenue. It is aimed at young male drinkers who prefer chilled, bottled lagers to pints of beer and is being sold in 330-millilitre bottles for six to nine months in Northern Ireland, as a test market for Europe, and in Malaysia[1] to see whether there are opportunities for the product elsewhere. In Malaysia the beer will be known as Guinness Premium Beer. It will be offered at a comparable price to other premium lagers. The move follows previous attempts by Diageo to boost sales by introducing variations of Ireland’s famous Guinness stout. In 2005 the company sold Brew 39 in bars in Dublin and before that it introduced Guinness XXX Extra Strong, Guinness Gold. If the beer performs during its trial, it will be introduced to other markets in Ireland, Europe and the U.S.[2]"

My god, I've never even heard of Guinness extra strong or gold. Any thoughts on these or the 'Guinness Black Lager'?

I read today that Guinness has been trail tasting a Guinness lager in some parts of the U.S.A. to try to capture more of the American market. Has anyone seen it anywhere? If so is it on pare with their world famous Guinness Stout,or is it more of a marketing scheme to widen their brand?

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

First, we've been discussing it here.

Secondly Guinness has ALWAYS had other than just the stout we know. Since the beginning. I have vintage ads for other products in my vintage beer ad thread.

Guinness Brands
Guinness Draught, sold in kegs, widget cans, and bottles: 4.1 to 4.3% alcohol by volume (abv); the Extra Cold is served through a super cooler at 3.5°C (38.3°F).[9]
Guinness Original/Extra Stout: 4.2 or 4.3% abv in Ireland and the rest of Europe, 4.1% in Germany, 4.8% in Namibia and South Africa), 5% in the United States and Canada, and 6% in Australia and Japan.
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout: 7.5% abv version sold in Europe, America, Africa, the Caribbean and Asia. The basis is an unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract shipped from Dublin, which is added to local ingredients and brewed locally. The strength can vary, for example, it is sold at 5% abv in China, 6.5% abv in Jamaica and East Africa, and 8% abv in Singapore.[10][11] In Nigeria a proportion of sorghum is used. Foreign Extra Stout is blended with a small amount of intentionally soured beer.[12]
Guinness Special Export Stout, sold in Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands, originally brewed in 1945 for the NAAFI to be sent to British troops stationed in Europe.[13]
Guinness Bitter, an English-style bitter beer: 4.4% abv.
Guinness Extra Smooth, a smoother stout sold in Ghana, Cameroon and Nigeria: 5.5% abv.
Malta Guinness, a non-alcoholic sweet drink, produced in Nigeria and exported to the UK and Malaysia.
Guinness Mid-Strength, a low-alcohol stout test-marketed in Limerick, Ireland in March 2006[14] and Dublin from May 2007:[15] 2.8% abv.
Kaliber, a premium alcohol-free lager. It is brewed as a full strength lager; then at the end of the brewing process, the alcohol is removed: 0.05% abv.
Guinness Red, brewed in exactly the same way as Guinness except that the barley is only lightly roasted so that it produces a lighter, slightly fruitier red ale; test-marketed in Britain in February 2007: 4.1% abv.[16]
250 Anniversary Stout, released in the U.S., Australia and Singapore on 24 April 2009:[17] 5% abv.

In October 2005, Guinness announced the Brewhouse Series, a limited-edition collection of draught stouts available for roughly six months each. There were three beers in the series.

Toucan Brew was introduced in May 2006. It was named after the cartoon toucan used in many Guinness advertisements. This beer had a crisper taste with a slightly sweet aftertaste due to its triple-hopped brewing process.
North Star was introduced in October 2006 and sold until into late 2007. Three million pints of North Star were sold in the latter half of 2007.[18]

Despite an announcement in June 2007 that the fourth Brewhouse stout would be launched in October that year,[19] no new beer appeared and, at the end of 2007, the Brewhouse series appeared to have been quietly cancelled.

Withdrawn Guinness variants include Guinness's Brite Lager, Guinness's Brite Ale, Guinness Light, Guinness XXX Extra Strong Stout, Guinness Cream Stout, Guinness Gold, Guinness Pilsner, Guinness Breó (a slightly citrusy wheat beer), Guinness Shandy, and Guinness Special Light. Breó (meaning 'glow' in ancient Irish) was a wheat beer; it cost around 5 million Irish punts to develop.

For a short time in the late 1990s, Guinness produced the "St James's Gate" range of craft-style beers, available in a small number of Dublin pubs. The beers were: Pilsner Gold, Wicked Red Ale, Wildcat Wheat Beer and Dark Angel Lager.

A brewing byproduct of Guinness, Guinness Yeast Extract (GYE), was produced until the 1950s.

So is this stuff as bad as beer advocate says, or are they trashing it just because it isn't traditional? Has anyone tried it yet?
I find people's reaction to this sort of thing interesting. It may be a little outside what they do well, but I can't fault a company for introducing a new product where they see a market.

I think its pretty good, heavy on the roasted malt to give it that Guinness character, on a commercial level I'd probably liken it to a roastier, dryer Michelob Amberbock. My wife hates Guinness but really liked the Black Lager.... at the price is selling I'd rather just get a larger quantity of Amberbock or a Guinness product that I prefer(Foreign Extra, Extra Stout, Regular stout...)

So is this stuff as bad as beer advocate says, or are they trashing it just because it isn't traditional? Has anyone tried it yet?
I find people's reaction to this sort of thing interesting. It may be a little outside what they do well, but I can't fault a company for introducing a new product where they see a market.

It's beer advocate, I think you answered you're own question.

It's not rare.

Guinness Draught gets a B- on Beer Advocate, and it is all sorts of traditional.

im drinking one right now. i am a big draught fan. and i dislike foreign extra stout. i consider this a best attempt to make the extra stout taste like draught without nitro.

So far,I've seen it at Giant Eagle,& the new liquor store in the DRug Mart plaza near the corner of sr254 & 301 (Detroit & Abbe). Have yet to try it...

I'm not a big fan of it. I bought a 6 pack awhile back... Won't buy it again. But I have also found that I just don't like dark lagers in general.

Back