kegging 5 gallon batch to a 1/2 bbl keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaellis

Reaction score
So I don't want this to be a debate whether or not to use a sanke keg I like them and don't have a problem with them. I can clean, sanitize, and fill with no problems. My question is, will there be problems with a head space of double the volume of liquid?

My plan is to put a 5 gal batch in a 15.5 gal keg. The alternative is bottling I don't have the cash to buy a smaller keg.

I'd recommend purging it with co2 before filling, to avoid oxidization caused by having a large volume of oxygen in the keg.

Are you planning on force carbing in the sanke? If so, I think that would probably waste a bit more CO2 than using a corny keg. Otherwise, there isn't an issue, just be sure to purge all of the O2 out before sealing it up.

I would need the hookups for the cornies and again no cash. But I would trade a full size sankey for a slim 1/4 bbl or 1/6 bbl.

Should work fine, I regularly do the same thing using 15.5 gallon sankeys. Just be sure to purge for a while, lots of air in the headspace.

Back