Bottling a still-fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgoldey

Reaction score
Howdy, all. I have an unusual situation and I could really use some advice.

I've got a carboy full of a clone of Sam Adams Cream Stout, brewed partly from grain and party with extract. It spend 7 days in the primary, and then went into the secondary. All was well. It sat quietly for about 2 weeks until my wife slid the box + carboy across the floor to vaccuum, at which point it started bubbling again. That was about December 15. Lots of little, tiny bubbles, smaller than beer bubbles, rising up the side of the carboy and forming a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. It didn't really form the large bubbles of a primary fermentation. The airlock bubbled every 5 minutes or so. About January 7 I checked the gravity -- just a little high -- and gave a taste -- tasted fine -- and left it alone.

Three weeks later, it's still bubbling and shows no signs of stopping. Still, lots of little tiny bubbles. I assume it's got some wild yeast in it, or something. It doesn't look bad at all. The airlock doesn't smell bad. It just won't stop fermenting.

It's time to pull the plug on this batch and either bottle it or toss it out, if it's gone bad. It's D-Day. I need the carboy back.

Here's what I was thinking of doing. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1) Put the carboy outside for a few hours to bring the temperature down and deactivate some of the yeast, so the beer can settle a bit.

2) Boil up my bottling malt extract + water and let it cool, per usual.

3) Rack the carboy out into my primary (it's the only thing large enough to hold the beer) and mix in the sugar water. I want to get the beer off its lees and there is some scum on the surface to avoid as well.

4) Add the bottling malt and bottle it, like any other batch of beer.

What I'm hoping is that the yeast that's still working in the carboy will make it into the bottles and carbonate the beer per the usual procedure. I figure, if it doesn't taste like ass already, then a little more action by this yeast, whatever it is, won't do much harm.

So, that's my story. Any advice? And, thanks.

when you say the gravity jan 7 was "a little high"
what is a little high and has it dropped since?
if it is now within range - take readings 3 days in a row and if stable go ahead and bottle.
i have these tiny bubbles in my secondary of hobgoblin forming a ring like you say after 2weeks in secondary and a bubble every 2 minutes- as long as the gravity is the same next week as today(1.012) i am going to bottle

Rod:

Thanks for the reply. Target gravity is 17-18 and the measurement was about 20.

I don't have an easy way of drawing off a sample to test the gravity, so I haven't done it again. I don't want to contaminate the beer by taking samples. I just feel like, if I let this go any longer, I'm gonna get vinegar . . . .

Leave it alone for a few more days. You had a stuck fermentation and you should be glad it got started again. I had the same problem once and it fermented for 3 weeks in the secondary. If you really want to use that secondary, go ahead and rack it into your bottling bucket but put your airlocked lid on it. Wait a few more days and then bottle it. If you try bottling with some residual fermentable sugar left you're going to have bottle bombs. You can't stop the yeast from eating sugar, it's what they do.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll give it a few more days and see what happens.

In case anyone's reading up, on February 23, the beer was still bubbling. I bottled it anyway. It tasted fine, although a little too heavy on the toasted and coffee flavors, as if too much sugar had been taken out. I'll write again when I taste the final product.

Hope this works for you. If it was still bubbling, and you added the corn sugar to it you might end up with bottle bombs or at a minimum gushers.

Take care opening them when you do. I'd recommend refrigerating anything you plan on opening for a few days before hand to slow your fermentation down a bit just in case.

This batch turned out OK. I'm surprised, but pleased.

When it went into the bottle, the burnt/coffee tastes were very strong, but it mellowed quite a bit in 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. The carbonation is just fine. The bottles have a lot of sediment in them, compared to the usual, but the beer's just fine.

Thanks for all who helped with advice.

Back