Best California IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdoft

Reaction score
Headed to Malibu this weekend via LAX to hang with old college friends. We won't go out much if at all so I have one stop to grab the goods before heading to the rental house. I'd like to spend as much of the weekend as possible trying amazing IPAs ans DIPAs not available in Colorado. We're bringing the familys so I figure maybe 6-8 22oz bottles or if there's a liquor store that sells a pick six 12-18. Anyway, here's the top five I'm looking for-please let me know what I'm missing: 1) Pliny the Younger 2) Ballast Point Sculpin 3) Alesmith IPA. 4) Bear Republic DIPA (Racer something-not five) 5). Fresh Pliny the Elder 6) Blind Pig. Also, anyone who knows a liquor store between LAX and Malibu that has some or all of this would be worshiped by me indefinately. BTW of those widely available in Colorado, Hop Stoopid, Green Flash DIPA and Stone IPA are my fovorites. Thanks!

Good luck finding Pliny the Younger...you missed that by a couple months.

I'm not dissing the Lagunitas IPA or Union Jack, as they are both fine beers, but they aren't really on the same level as the others on your list IMO. Sculpin especially is quite tasty.

One that has recently been making my rotation is the Karl Strauss Big Barrel Double IPA, which I've found in 22oz bottles at BevMo but is also on tap around town intermittently.

You might also try to find Port Brewing Mongo on tap somewhere although lately all I've seen is the 4th Anniversary. Also a good beer, but I like the Mongo better personally. Although not really marketed as an IPA or DIPA, you ought to try Strand 24th Street Pale Ale if you see it on tap. It's pretty much an IPA in terms of ABV and hop presence IMO.

Insofar as liquor stores are concerned you could try Wine Expo in Santa Monica...I don't really go to that area to buy beer so it's tough for me to provide any details.

Whole Foods and Bristol Market are also both usually good bets. Especially the one in El Segundo (maybe 10-15 minutes south of LAX) has a great beer buyer and a huge beer selection. Often they have Pliny the Elder and Sculpin in the back but you need to ask for it. I have also scored Sculpin at Bristol Market a few times so it's definitely worth checking out if you can't find it anywhere else. The one I usually go to is maybe 1-2 miles from the El Segundo Whole Foods, located on Rosecrans in Manhattan Beach.

I know there's also a Bristol Market just north of LAX in the Westchester area, and I think there's a Whole Foods right around there too.

I like the Bear Republic Red Rocket, not an IPA but very good. Lagunita's makes Hop Stoopid which you might find.

Alesmith Summer Yulesmith is out right now. A great IIPA that is seasonal and still fresh.

Doubt you'll find it further North than here, but Alpine Duet, Nelson Rye IPA, and Pure Hoppiness are great. They make some of the best IPAs in So Cal.

Coronado Islander IPA has been gaining some popularity as of late.

Had a Yulesmith last weekend... very nice!

Racer X is definitely what you are talking about... can't find that often.

I'd add Firestone Walker Union Jack and Lagunitas IPA to that list too.

I love Union Jack as well but its not the typical West Coast hop bomb. The high OG provides a great malt base for the hops and a bonus 7.5 ABV. I think its more of a British IPA and has a nice balance. Depends what you are looking for: if its a hop grenade in a bottle, not the Union Jack. Still a great beer and great brewery IMO though. Plus I used to live 5 min. from the brewery :D

STRONG work! Thanks soooo much for your excellent suggestions.
Many of these were previously under my radar so this will really
Boost my beercation. Thanks again. I'll post back as I'm able with my
Impressions.

"Coronado Islander IPA has been gaining some popularity as of late."

And their Idiot IPA

Moylan's Hopsickle is about as hoppy as they get but it ain't no easy drinker.

Moylan's Hopsickle is about as hoppy as they get but it ain't no easy drinker.

I tried this recently and I have to say I was not impressed. And I'm as big of a hop head as they come. Maybe I got an old bottle, but to me it wasn't anything special. I mean, yeah, I got the huge hop flavors but the malt and booze almost overpowered them. This is coming from a guy that loves Stone's Ruination.

It's not as refined as the others listed here, just overdone. Freshness is really important though of course.

Yeah, being that I'm 3000 miles away from California, I doubt it was as fresh as it could be. I'm not saying it was a horrible beer by any means, just not worth the $10.50 I paid for it. I'll go with the Green Flash IIPA if I want a good, boozy hop bomb and I'll pay half the price.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the Whole Foods in El Segundo. Good beer selection and the buyer there is really into the local and regional breweries.

I'm not dissing the Lagunitas IPA or Union Jack, as they are both fine beers, but they aren't really on the same level as the others on your list IMO. Sculpin especially is quite tasty.

really, FW union jack is not on that level? Is that why it has one like 3 out of the last 4 years at GABF for the American IPA category? Just giving you hard time, I love the beer but do agree on the standard Lagunitas IPA, it is more of a session IPA or a extra pale ale. Sculpin does kick a$$ though :) not a fan of Alesmith IPA, not sure if I got a bad bottle but it is just bland to me.

don't forget about port brewing IPAs like Hop 15 and wipeout.

Racer 5 is my favorite, Stone Ruination IPA is awesome, I'm not a real fan of their standard IPA.
As mentioned earlier Lagunitas Hop Stupid is yummy bitter goodness.
Green Flash Imperial IPA is great.

If there is a BevMo, hit it up. Ours here has lots and lots of IPA's, DIPA's and Imperial IPA's

I love Union Jack as well but its not the typical West Coast hop bomb. The high OG provides a great malt base for the hops and a bonus 7.5 ABV. I think its more of a British IPA and has a nice balance.

It is a classic West Coast American IPA (with American citrus/pine flavored hops and a balanced American malt bill).

Some of the things listed in the OP were double/imperial IPAs, and most of the rest were modern hop-centric (often dry hopped) IPAs rather than the classic West Coast style (I'm definitely not judging; I prefer the modern stuff).

I'd recommend the regular Russian River IPA over Blind Pig, especially since it's pretty much only available out west.

Sculpin is amazing when fresh.

Latest posts

Back