Cold crashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamstonBrew

Reaction score
I recently got a kegerator set up and have a Centennial blonde that has been in the secondary a few days after being in primary for about 6 days. It's finished fermenting based on gravity readings and I'd like to stick it in the kegerator to cold crash. I've never done this before but I understand the principles.

Should I replace the airlock with a carboy cap to prevent the liquid (OneStep solution, which means it's basically just clean water by now) from being sucked into the carboy as the gas in the head space cools and contracts?

The kegerator is chilled to about 38-40 degrees. I plan on kegging in two to three days... is such a short cold crash period even worth it?

I replace the airlock with a piece of sanitized foil. As far as the lengh of time.....even a couple of days will help to settle a lot of 'stuff'. It'll just make it one more day closer to clearing in the keg, since sitting in the keg in your keggerator is basically coldcrashing......

Toss it in as it is... I would leave it no shorter than 3 days personally. Then you have to be really careful when you go to move it so you don't disturb all that has settled, been there, done that, not cool at all!

I most generally cold crash for 6-7+ days, just depending on what I got going, but its normally 1 week. I have a routine down... 1 week primary, 1 weeks secondary, 1 week cold crash, then I keg it and leave it on the gas for a week ("set it and forget"). I am caught up now on my kegging pipeline, so I have a couple carboys waiting to cold crash now, and as such I dont have room in my kegerator for them afterwards, so they will get some good conditioning time after they are kegged and purged of o2.

I may be lazy (or just efficient), but I cold crash in the keg: I rack to the keg, give the keg a "burp" to push off any air, seal the keg and let it sit in the fridge for 3-5 days, then attach the tap and pour off about a cup of cloudy beer-now you have clear beer ready to be carbonated, you have no worries about the airlock and no need to transfer again.

*Usually I just use the keg as the secondary anyway, that way only one transfer (under a CO2 blanket) leave the keg in the basement for a week, then follow above procedure.

Excellent advice all, thanks! I think I will use the keg to cold crash based on this info. Its footprint is so much smaller than a carboy.

Back