Pellets vs Plugs for Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlanier01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on dry hopping an English Pale Ale recipe with Kent hops. At my LHBS they recommended hop plugs instead of dry hopping with pellets. Do you use pellets or plugs, and why?

Thanks,
J

I always dry hop with whole hops... or plugs if that's what I've got. I've found that while I lose a little beer in what the hops absorb, they're easier to keep out of what I transfer... plus, I just like to see 'em floating around in the carboy.

I decided to throw a Kent Goldings hop plug with 5 min left in to the boil of an English Pale Kit this weekend. It was awesome to watch that thing unfold and see all of the hops pour out. I plan to dry hop with another .5oz of the same with 1 week left in the secondary. Thanks!

Seeing as how plugs were invented for dry-hopping - they're just small enough to fit through the bung hole* of a traditional English cask - I say go with the plug. I've always preferred whole and plug hops to pellets.

Truth be told, though, pellets work just as well in all brewing applications, except possibly dry-hopping in cask/keg.

Cheers,

Bob

* Yes, I said 'bung hole'. Try not to faint. :D

I use pellets for dry hopping because the "Lupine(sp)" glands are crushed and more readily accessible. I put the pellets in a boiled hop sock.

Latest posts

Back