Using cold brewed coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iahomebrew

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding cold brewed coffee to an oatmeal stout I typically brew. This will be my first attempt at using coffee with brewing. I've read through many threads and articles and I've come to the conclusion that I will use "2 - 6 oz. of cold brewed coffee" to my bottling bucket prior to bottling. However what most of these recipes don't say is how much water to use? Is the recipe saying to use 2-6 oz. of grounds or 2-6 ounces of liquid cold brewed coffee?

There was a really great article in a Zymurgy called: "Making Great Coffee Beer” by Nathan Watkins in the September/October 2012 magazine. You have to be a member to view it, but this is an okay write up as well: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/cold-brew-coffee-adding-coffee-beer/

I second Porterpounder suggestion on the french press. I kind of followed the advice of the Zymurgy article, and ended up with coffee all over my refrigerator because the liquid absorbed into the muslin sacks I used and all over the fridge. Long story, but yeah, definitely use a french press.

I'm actually doing this for a porter in the next week :) Good luck!

I did a coffee porter. I used 8 ounces of Papua New Guinea coffee, steeped in enough to cover the grounds and another half inch or so in a quart mason jar. I had it in the fridge for a day or 2 then added it to the primary, kegged it about 4 days later. It was amazing!

I tried to use coffee filters to strain. I ended up wrapping the coffee in several of them and squeezing. It was a mess. I ended up with a little less than a cup of liquid. I suggest the press or something other than coffee filters.

Latest posts

Back