Malted Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
Not sure if anybody has thought of this, but I was at a dairy the other day and got a Malted Milk Shake, and as i was drinking it (and loving it) i wondered if this malt flavor would work in a beer.... So based on that I thought of a malted stout... Not sure how to go about this or if anybody else has tried it, was thinking of testing it by just buying a bottle of guiness or something and adding the malt flavoring to it... Thoughts ideas or links?

Technically, you are making malted beer every time you brew.

Malting is the process where barley, or other grains are sprouted. The aleurone layer on a kernel contains enzymes that begin to break down the stored starches for the new plant. The maltster then kilns the now malted barley to halt this process.

Now 2 things happen with the malted grain.
  1. It is sold to breweries or homebrewers who extract sugars (malt) in a mash to make beer
  2. Malt extract is made

Malt extract is made the same way professional and homebrewers mash grains to make wort. The wort is then concentrated (LME) or dried (DME). Now you have concentrated malt or maltose. Maltose is a disaccharide made of 2 glucose molecules.

Malt is used in a lot of food production, including your malted milkshake. Adding malt extract back to a fermented beer would produce a sweet, probably cloying taste. Maybe good for desert. Overall, I doubt it would give you the flavor you are looking for.

Malt powder is just malted barly(already in beer) and lactose (Milk Sugar) so any milk stout or sweet stout using lactose is a malted milk stout

I think you are missing my idea of Malt... Basically have you ever had a malt-ball (whopper) you can get the insides of that in powder form, and i was thinking of adding that to the beer for the flavoring...

the yeast in your beer will ferment any malt sugars you put into it, you either have to sweeten with lactose or some non-fermentable sweetener or do something to kill the yeast and force carbonate after you add the malt sugars.

I think you are missing my idea of Malt... Basically have you ever had a malt-ball (whopper) you can get the insides of that in powder form, and i was thinking of adding that to the beer for the flavoring...

Yea... its called malt powder and is use in the ice cream industry for ice cream malts. It is made with malted barley and sweetener, usually Lactose.

GilaMinumBeer said he likes the flavor in his beer so I am assuming he uses the powder for his beer.

I am pretty confident I am alone in this one but, I tend to like tha malt flavorings in my beers. ;)

So you add the malt powder to your beer? How do you add it? to the boil or to the secondary?

I think the concept of malt is getting lost somewhere. GilaMinumBeer was making a joke. Most of the flavors in beer ARE malt. Read my first reply. You cannot necessarily add back in malt flavor, since wort mostly contains maltose and other dextrins.

If you want a malty beer, pick up a sixer of Scottish Ale like Belhaven.

The center on a whopper is malted milk. Which is, according to Wikipedia, "a powdered food product made from a mixture of malted barley, wheat flour, and whole milk, which is evaporated until it forms a powder".

So, you already have the malted barley in the beer. So, as was said, a cream stout or something might give you what you're after. Or maybe something with wheat and lactose?

Back