Immersion Chiller Tutorial Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool Jay, let me know how much water leaks into your wort. I was lying about knowing how to sweat pipe, I just watched Norm Abrams do it on TV once ;-)
Actually, watching your video reminded me why I hate propane torches so much. I can now do that with MAPP gas (the yellow bottles) torch in about 10-15 seconds start to finish what you showed in 30 seconds sped up faster than realtime. Propane also tends to dry out the flux before the metal is hot enough to start wicking the solder into the joint because you are applying the heat for so much longer... thus a higher failure rate on your joints (especially for noobs)

MAPP gas is the shizzle, so all you DIY folks don't bother messin' round with the propane. :rockin:

I think burning the flux is a common problem no matter what heat source you use. I like to heat far away from the joint for a few seconds, then get the heat concentrated to the work area right before applying the solder. I do have a MAPP tank now but it's not THAT much different.

I think burning the flux is a common problem no matter what heat source you use. I like to heat far away from the joint for a few seconds, then get the heat concentrated to the work area right before applying the solder. I do have a MAPP tank now but it's not THAT much different.

Agree to disagree. Time and failure rate are of utmost importance and I have never had flux dry out on a MAPP gas joint (assuming you are doing it right!). Not to mention I soldered the 8 joints on my MT drain manifold (18 actual connections) in roughly 90 seconds.

There is a reason you will never see a professional plumber use propane vs MAPP. When you have to warranty your work and hours matter on fixed-rate jobsites, it makes a big difference.

Like I said, a single 90 degree elbow like that requires about 10 seconds of heat application and both ends of the elbow are ready for final sweating. Propane takes longer.

Also nevermind that with propane running for so much longer per joint, that in real on-site plumbing applications, you create a much higher risk of starting a fire.

EDIT: And if you are starting from scratch as a noob and have to buy the equipment, a MAPP gas kit ain't that much extra on top of a Propane one, IMO. And a good experience will give you the confidence to tackle other jobs you might never have considered. I honestly think the plumbers union subsidizes the propane kits to scare people into hiring a plumber after the first couple joints they make fail.

I can't solder, so I'm having my brother in law who is a plumber build this for me. Thanks for the video and information.

Ive made this chiller, Excellent thinking of running 25 feet of 1/2 in copper in a smaller coil down the middle connected by two copper ts

to increase the surface area and runnning cold water down the middle of the boil as well Should increase the cooling as well

Latest posts

Back