The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"to be clear" my ass. None of that crap happened. I had no previous contact with any admin; maybe something was posted in the thread and I never saw it.
Anyway... enjoy your soccer thread guys.

You should have seen it. I gave you the first warning. Passedpawn gave you the next two, and I'm not sure who deleted/warned you the last two. I could look but I don't want to put the effort into it. You are the only person in this thread that required 5 warnings (or even one, actually) and if you missed it, then there is no help for you.

If you choose to ignore warnings, you will definitely find yourself uninvited to participate in our forum. At this point, there will be no further warnings.

A simple rule of thumb is to not be an ass. If your posts are deleted over and over and you're the only one- then you ARE being an ass. It's not too hard to figure out. If you're having problems with it, please contact TxBrew so he can explain it more simply to you, if that will help.

I called it. 2-1 with a winner from Bradley....Evans. :)

I was so annoyed that we gave up such a bad goal (though I think the guy may have been offsides, I'd want to watch it again later) but I was OK with 1 point cause I knew we still had a shot to wind up over Mexico, but getting the win was clutch. We're still behind Costa Rica in GD, but I think we'll be OK, we've got 4 home games left to their 3. We also can take a win in Costa Rica to really seal the deal against them

And the Mexican's drew nice. So now if we just end our current set with 2 home wins we'll be 3 points up over the Mexicans would 4 to go. Would be awesome if somehow they were the 3rd team who has to play for their lives. But since they have 2 games against the Costa Ricans they can easily knock them down and position themselves well, they still have 3 home games left and assuming those are all wins it would be hard to imagine them not making a top 2 seed.

Just saw the highlights, the Jamaican goal definitely looked offsides to me.[ame]http://youtu.be/e0zqwYSAjh0[/ame]

Nice that they came away with the 3 points.

Wow that was worse that I thought, it wasn't even close. Shame they took a goal opp from Jozy when he was seemingly on but allowed that. Refs were brutal to the US.

So a mouthy whiner like Piers Morgan is representative of all Arsenal fans now? I'm sorry man, but get a clue.

And no you can criticize all you want, it just looks really hilarious to have a fan who's team has NEVER won the PL and whose last trophy of note was the football league cup in 1985 incessantly railing on about our trophy drought. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Arsenal fans are paying the highest ticket prices to watch a farm team. Don't get mad at me bro just facts probably doesn't bother you that much cause you aren't going to many of their games.

Just saw the highlights, the Jamaican goal definitely looked offsides to me.Nice that they came away with the 3 points.

Yep.

2013-06-08_130049.jpg

Arsenal fans are paying the highest ticket prices to watch a farm team. Don't get mad at me bro just facts probably doesn't bother you that much cause you aren't going to many of their games.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha... I'll leave you to your ignorance.

hopstupid said:

You sure are full of all the tired old anti-arsenal talking points. Let us know when you're able to string them together in a coherent point.

Horrible marking

that was a huge #### up!

Someone did miss their mark, but dude was about 3 feet offsides and pushed off, if the US made that play it would have been unbelievable. They could have made the play (or made the play tougher) but it would have taken nearly a perfect read especially with the player closest to the scorer being pushed backwards.

Someone did miss their mark, but dude was about 3 feet offsides and pushed off, if the US made that play it would have been unbelievable. They could have made the play (or made the play tougher) but it would have taken nearly a perfect read especially with the player closest to the scorer being pushed backwards.

haha that guy did two hand shove him you're right. He plays in the Championship not bad either.

sorry guys i had to this is just to good

Just watched the Timbers blow a two goal second half lead for about the tenth time the last two seasons. I really don't understand why they give up so many late goals. They had three shots bounce off the post in the first four minutes of play. Turns out those were big. Different goal keep I noticed, not sure why. He gave up one bad goal.

See I watcher soccer :)

Just watched the Timbers blow a two goal second half lead for about the tenth time the last two seasons. I really don't understand why they give up so many late goals. They had three shots bounce off the post in the first four minutes of play. Turns out those were big. Different goal keep I noticed, not sure why. He gave up one bad goal.

See I watcher soccer :)

Youth Soccer> Timbers

Its nice to see the Sounders finally playing as a team. I knew the early year would be rough with the new additions and some injuries but seems like they are pulling it together.

The Yanks look excellent thus far. American Outlaws sound great... but clearly mostly Emerald City Supporters. I especially love the "ref, die of cancer" chant after the Geoff Cameron yellow card.

Jozy gets MOTM for me. Dempsey though not a scoring threat today has had some really nice chances he's created or taken. On a better day he'd have a goal.

Gonzalez has to be better. I know it's probably jitters and he has potential, but he's not holding the line well at all and it seems like most goals that have come against us lately have been on him.

I wonder if Gonzalez would be better if paired with an experienced international like Bocanegra?
I really like Geoff Cameron at defensive mid, & hope we never have to play him on the back line again.

Cameron was surprisingly good. I expected more distribution mistakes from him but he wound up making few. And he provided a very good energy. Gonna make selection interesting as he proved to be almost on the level of Jones and Bradley. He could push them.

ANd we really can't put Bocanegra back there. He can start in the 3rd division of Spanish soccer, he's not in form or probably even fit. Hopefully he gets there but having him there just for leadership will lead to many mistakes. Plus Besler's been arguably our best CB in qualifying. Gonzalez just needs to work with the lines more. He's done well, he just needs to get better, the almost goal yesterday is what cannot happen, he cannot be yards deeper than the other defender.

Cameron was surprisingly good. I expected more distribution mistakes from him but he wound up making few. And he provided a very good energy. Gonna make selection interesting as he proved to be almost on the level of Jones and Bradley. He could push them.

For me, saying he's almost on the level of Bradley is a real stretch. Bradley is an absolute boss off the midfield.

The thing I quite like about Cameron/Bradley as a pairing vs Jones/Bradley is that I feel Cameron allows Bradley to be his most dangerous. With Jones, Bradley had to do more defending. Cameron allows Bradley more freedom.

For me, saying he's almost on the level of Bradley is a real stretch. Bradley is an absolute boss off the midfield.

The thing I quite like about Cameron/Bradley as a pairing vs Jones/Bradley is that I feel Cameron allows Bradley to be his most dangerous. With Jones, Bradley had to do more defending. Cameron allows Bradley more freedom.

I agree. With Cameron, Bradley can be a box to box mid.

Sorry Hoppy Hippo, but I am going to have to disagree. I think at least one of the center backs needs to be experienced. Too often, one of the 2 of them has kept a player onsides while the rest of the line moves up. I've also seen them look at each other in confusion as if to say, who's man was that. I am bias, because I'm a big fan of Bocanegra, but I don't think playing in the 2nd division in Spain affects his ability to get fit again and regain form. We'll see how he does in the Gold Cup, if he plays.

Well he's not quite there. As I said, he certainly played on a high level.

Part of what draws Jones is that he's dangerous in distribution. He's had many passes that have lead to goals. Maybe he and Bradley aren't a perfect pair, but they worked well together in their pairings so far. Cameron was playing up as well.

I agree. With Cameron, Bradley can be a box to box mid.

Sorry Hoppy Hippo, but I am going to have to disagree. I think at least one of the center backs needs to be experienced. Too often, one of the 2 of them has kept a player onsides while the rest of the line moves up. I've also seen them look at each other in confusion as if to say, who's man was that. I am bias, because I'm a big fan of Bocanegra, but I don't think playing in the 2nd division in Spain affects his ability to get fit again and regain form. We'll see how he does in the Gold Cup, if he plays.

Problem is that for most of the year Bocanegra wasn't playing in the second division, he was on the bench. I hope Boca is back, but I don't know if it's Gonzalez I'd keep in the lineup. Besler JMO has been the most impressive CB. He seems to have the qualities we need back there.

Also we need Cherundolo back. And Chandler. Our Fullbacks have done well but I dont' think they're making the CBs jobs any easier.

I've been running some simulations, and it seems like if we win our next game against Honduras, we'll be at a minimum 5 points clear of 4th. Which would mean we'd have 4 more games, and I believe the magic number for us to get a 3rd seed would be 6 more points. That scenario would have Mexico or Costa Rica in the 4th spot, and they have to play each other, so that means the most point potential for the 4th place teams is 10 more points.

So basically while there are plenty of other scenarios, seems like we have 3 out of 5 more games to win to clinch WC. Seems very doable. Have to beat Honduras though, as if we do we'll likely be 6 points up at that point with Honduras having to go to Azteca (meaning a virtual guarantee of getting no more than 1 point)

Back