CO2 Regulator setting after installing 3-way manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizooBrew

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my one tap kegerator to a three, and added a 3-way manifold to split my CO2 distribution to my three kegs. I didn't think to change my regulator setting after this change, and after looking at my CO2 regulator, it was displaying a pressure of about 3 psi, instead of the 10psi I would like for force carbing.

My question is, are my three three kegs still getting 10 psi each, or are they only getting the ~3 that the regulator is showing? I guess it would make sense that I would have to turn up my regulator to pressurize three kegs as opposed to one, but I just want to make sure that each keg is now getting 10psi (now that I've turned it up to 10), instead of something like 30 each.

:mug:

No reason why the pressure changed, unless you are out of co2. The whole point of the regulator is that it holds a steady pressure as the co2 is used. After it fills all three kegs, it should have leveled off at the set pressure.
Are you sure it didn't get bumped, or that you are out of gas?
How does it pour?

I'm not out of gas- just got a new tank and my regulator showing the contents of the tank indicate I have plenty of gas. I don't think it's possible that it could have been bumped, as I have a nut on the screw to adjust the regulator pressure that holds it set in one place, although I don't know how else it got down to 3psi.

I pours fine, I have enough pressure to push the beer out- it just seems undercarbonated and has taken longer to force carbonate than expected.

If my regulator is reading ~10psi, does that mean each of my kegs is now receiving 10 psi?

I'm about two weeks out from having a big party, so want to have my beer appropriately carbonated by then. All kegs are inside of a kegerator at 38F, with gas being supplied to each keg via a three-way manifold. Regulator set to 10psi. Good to go?

:confused:

Yes, 10psi in all kegs (unless you have a reg for each keg).
Pours about the right flow, but there is no head and little carbination? Try uping your pressure a bit. It will take a couple days for the beer to carb, or you could up it to 30psi for 1/2 a day, then bleed off/back off regs to 12psi (but that will sacrifice some co2). At 38F, I would carb at 12psi (depending on beer style).
You probably already know this (but I'll say it anyway), the trick to kegging is to carbinate the beer with co2 pressure, and then adjust the flow with hose length. I'm guessing that since you changed some stuff, it's just a matter of dialling it in.

Yes, 10psi in all kegs (unless you have a reg for each keg).

Awesome, thanks for the answer! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding how the regulator works. For example, I wanted to make sure that if it read 10psi and was split between three kegs, each keg wasn't getting 3.33psi. :mug:

Back