Non-alcoholic beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongrell

Reaction score
This might be a noob question, but where do the calories in non-alcoholic beer come from? I always thought the calories were just from the alcohol, hence why light beer is lower in alcohol AND calories.

Heating the liquid portion to body temperature BURNS calories, it doesnt contain calories.

1 a: the amount of heat required at a pressure of one atmosphere to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree Celsius that is equal to about 4.19 joules —abbreviation cal —called also gram calorie small calorie b: the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius : 1000 gram calories or 3.968 Btu —abbreviation Cal —called also large calorie2 a: a unit equivalent to the large calorie expressing heat-producing or energy-producing value in food when oxidized in the body b: an amount of food having an energy-producing value of one large calorie

1 a: the amount of heat required at a pressure of one atmosphere to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree

Which is why your body burns calories to warm it up in your stomach. The energy comes from you not from the liquid.

This:
Also to heat the liquid portion to body temp

Is either confusing or just wrong, not really sure which. Not exactly sure what you mean.

Does it take energy to heat up beer in your body? Yes.

Does that energy have anything to do with the caloric content of the beer? no.

One of my college roommates had this grand idea of losing weight by drinking lots of cold liquid. He figured he would burn calories as his body brought the liquid up to temperature. While there was some logic in his plan, it didn't help that most of the cold liquid he was consuming was ice cold beer!

Wow... wow...

I don't even know what to say. Some people have some messed up logic. Thank you kilgore for setting that straight.

I guess I can answer the original question.

Mongrell, roughly half of the calories in a standard non-light beer come from the alcohol. The other half come unfermentable sugars in the beer, mostly in the form of large branched sugars (polysaccharides). The yeast can't ferment these, but the human body can metabolize them. In light beers, commercial brewers add additional enzymes to the mash to break down almost all of these polysaccharides into fermentable sugars. But still, not all of them get degraded. These leaves a residual amount of sugars and other molecules such as small proteins, fats, and amino acids in solution.

Wow... wow...

I don't even know what to say. Some people have some messed up logic.

I'm not sure if you are responding to me or the path of this thread in general? Anyway, my roomie, a mechanical engineering student, originally was explaining that he was going to drink ice cold water. I wanted to explain to him that eating less and excercising would probably be more successful at helping him burn calories and lose weight then the minimal benefit he would gain from his cold beverage diet, but, hey, he was the super genius engineer, not me. Needless to say his use of ice cold beer, which isn't exactly equivalant to bottled Slimfast, seemed to have the opposite effect on his girth.

One of my college roommates had this grand idea of losing weight by drinking lots of cold liquid. He figured he would burn calories as his body brought the liquid up to temperature. While there was some logic in his plan, it didn't help that most of the cold liquid he was consuming was ice cold beer!

I had a period in college where I consumed a few too many cold ones and i can say that it is no way to lose weight!

I am finishing my degree this year at EWU

Ah yes, I know it well, I'm originally from western Washington and I spent a week there one high-school summer for a "leadership" conference. It was on my list of schools under consideration all those years ago. Okay, back on topic, non-alcoholic beers, what's with those calories??? Discuss!

I'm not sure if you are responding to me or the path of this thread in general? Anyway, my roomie, a mechanical engineering student, originally was explaining that he was going to drink ice cold water. I wanted to explain to him that eating less and excercising would probably be more successful at helping him burn calories and lose weight then the minimal benefit he would gain from his cold beverage diet, but, hey, he was the super genius engineer, not me. Needless to say his use of ice cold beer, which isn't exactly equivalant to bottled Slimfast, seemed to have the opposite effect on his girth.

Well, I was responding to the thread in general. The discussion of calories/Calories and where they come from and your friend's not-really-all-that-brilliant plan to lose weight.

Engineers are not the same as biologists/medical doctors. :drunk:

Well, I was responding to the thread in general. The discussion of calories/Calories and where they come from and your friend's not-really-all-that-brilliant plan to lose weight.

Engineers are not the same as biologists/medical doctors. :drunk:

Well, he was a nice enough guy. He really wanted to do something related to boat building. Not sure how that turned out. Suffice it to say, I would probably wear a life jacket anytime I was in a boat, but I'd be doubly sure if I was in a boat he designed!!!

Back