Question about sanitization of large items

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassyBrewer

Reaction score
So in preperation for my first batch hopefully getting started Monday (fingers crossed), I have ran into a problem. How do you sanitize the 5 gallon carboys? Using a big bucket and just mixing together your sanitizer in there and cleaning it in the bucket?

Just make sure you read the directions. Each different sanitizer needs contact for different lengths of time. Some are contact and some need to be in contact for a period of time. But I do the same as what everyone is suggesting. That is why I use the Iodophor in my carboys and Starsan for things that I can soak..

So far what I've been doing is filling the carboy to the neck with Iodophor solution and soaking. Then I pour into a bucket and use it for sanitizing the odds and ends i plan on using. I'm certainly using my Iodophor up. :D

So far what I've been doing is filling the carboy to the neck with Iodophor solution and soaking. Then I pour into a bucket and use it for sanitizing the odds and ends i plan on using. I'm certainly using my Iodophor up. :D
I do that, sort of. A couple gallons in the carboy, shake, drain to my HD 5-gallon bucket that is my sanitizing vessel. Just be careful when you shake those suckers.

Am I the only one who wastes a lot of water by filling their carboy all the way up with bleach water and letting it sit? lol

It's the first thing I do before I start brewing as well as boil a boil a gallon or so of water to get some sterilized water. I'll then siphon out the bleach water from the carboy and do three boiled water rinses of the carboy and call it ready to go.

As long as I keep my spray bottle of StarSan topped off, I never mix any new sanitizer while brewing -- I just hit everything (fermenter included) with the spray bottle... Of course this works fine for bucket fermenters, but not so well for carboys/better bottles.

Back