Dumbest first AG ever can it be saved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoodweisen

Reaction score
Started my mash on a hefe and walked out of the room got sidetracked by the wife and when i came back mash temp was at 187 and being a noob i shut the heat off and let it coast back down which took the entire time 60 min. Bad i know so i figured couldnt hurt to put it in a bucket so i finished the recipe. Im always reading on here to not throw anything away and so being up to a challenge. I got fermentation amazingly though the krausen was extremely weak looking and fell out and disappeared when i took the lid off but i wasnt beat yet. I ordered some amylase and when it finally showed up after the winter storm it had been in primary for two weeks so i tossed that in and that was a week ago. All i got was some small bubbles but thats it. I tasted it doesnt taste like other hefes ive done at this stage kinda tastes like rotten banana. So whats the call is this really worth saving ive got plenty of buckets and im willing to let it sit but does anyone really think it could get better?

Amongst the many problems I guess there's two main concerns:

1) Did the starches convert to sugars before the enzymes were denatured?
2) Did the high mash temp extract any unwanted flavors from the grains.

As for 1, you'll be able to tell if you're okay by comparing the OG and FG. If you got a normal level of attenuation, then it looks like you're okay. It may be a particularly thick beer, but could be alright.

As for 2, I'm hopeful that the entire mash at full concentration was sort of insulation against too much tannin extraction, but this is all speculation.

And as for the rotten banana flavor, that could be a temp control issue. At this point, are you really going to dump it? Hell no - you're gonna let it finish, carbonate it, and taste it before you make your final judgement.

In the meantime, how about brewing another batch so you have something to be excited about instead of something to worry over?

Alright ill let it finish but how much longer should i wait before kegging ive got other beers going so it doesnt matter to me ill let it sit for a long time if i need to. i would just like to see it not be a failure.

Alright ill let it finish but how much longer should i wait before kegging ive got other beers going so it doesnt matter to me ill let it sit for a long time if i need to. i would just like to see it not be a failure.

i've read that some of the bannana flavors will age out if you let it condition for a while

Back