Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Is it cool to fill your growler and drink it there at the bar. I never thought to get a growler because I figured a 6 pack is about the same price in a more convenient size. But my local Micro sells pints for $3.50 and growler fills for $7. If i can drink it there it makes so much sense.

You can always ask and maybe you'll get a cool bartender, but I'd say most likely not. Growlers are "to-go" packaging and priced as such. 7 bucks for a fill is a steal though. Like 18 out here in Los Angeles.

Ok is that pretty much standard everywhere. I don't really see the point of paying $7 for 64 oz when I can pay $8 for 72 oz (6 pack) of the same beer in more convenient packaging. Dont have to worry about it going flat and I can reuse the bottles.

I have growlers from lots of breweries. I just found out that one of the local higher end restaurants brews, and in addition to selling their beers in Imp. pints for $3 each after 9pm EVERY NIGHT, they do $5 growlers on Wed and Sun. So I always wonder if it's kosher to use another brewery's growler to get a fill-up.

Besides being rude....are you bringing your own glass too? Growlers are for 'to go'. Some brew pubs will let you fill other's growlers, but some won't. You'll have to ask.

From experience, Stone Brewing has placards posted around their fill station saying "growlers aren't permitted for consumption on the premises." Why, I've never understood. :confused:

Under some state laws, they're considered closed containers, like a bottle of Jack Daniel's or a sixer of cans. Allowing people to pop it open and then take it home is a big no-no.

I just dont understand why I would pay the same price per ounce as a six pack. The brewery doesn't have any packaging cost as I'm providing the container. A 6 pack is obviously more convenient. What am I paying for if I'm not paying to drink there.

I just dont understand why I would pay the same price per ounce as a six pack.

Limited Edition brew, on tap only. Brew pub does not bottle. If those don't apply, buy bottles and call it a day.

The brewery doesn't have any packaging cost as I'm providing the container. A 6 pack is obviously more convenient. What am I paying for if I'm not paying to drink there.

Maybe they don't have a container cost, but it does cost them to have a building and person to fill a growler. If you want a 64oz container to drink at the bar, get a pitcher.

It costs them a person to have a person fill the bottles and a bottling machine. Theres no possible way to rationalize a growler costing as much as a 6 pack. And I have to pay for the growler originally.

Theres no possible way to rationalize a growler costing as much as a 6 pack.

Sure there is. That's the going rate. The market says people will pay, so then they get a way with it.

Like everyone else said, a growler is a 'to go' product. Most places seal it on site so it can leave as a closed container. They can't sell you an open container. Law says so.

Growlers are typically less expensive than pints at the local brewery and I often fill my growler on the way home from work. If you want to really save money, bring your keg to local brewery. My local brewery washes and fills kegs for about $40 bucks. Flat fee, doesn't matter which beer it is. If your an extract brewer it's almost cheaper to buy local kegged beer than to brew your own (in my case).

Sure there is. That's the going rate. The market says people will pay, so then they get a way with it.

Like everyone else said, a growler is a 'to go' product. Most places seal it on site so it can leave as a closed container. They can't sell you an open container. Law says so.

Growlers are typically less expensive than pints at the local brewery and I often fill my growler on the way home from work. If you want to really save money, bring your keg to local brewery. My local brewery washes and fills kegs for about $40 bucks. Flat fee, doesn't matter which beer it is. If your an extract brewer it's almost cheaper to buy local kegged beer than to brew your own (in my case).

what kind of kegs do they fill?

They fill kegs? Cornies or full 1/2 barrels? Thats awesome. But yah I understand thats what people will pay but it just doesnt make sense to me to buy a growler. Pints are priced higher because people pay to drink in the bar. Atmosphere, TV's, etc. If I'm drinking at home It makes more sense to buy bottles.

I just dont understand why I would pay the same price per ounce as a six pack. The brewery doesn't have any packaging cost as I'm providing the container. A 6 pack is obviously more convenient. What am I paying for if I'm not paying to drink there.
First, don't get mad at the brewers, get mad at your elected representative for the laws breweries operate under.

Second, you're paying the same, or more, per ounce because of the convenience of drinking it at your leisure, at a place and time of your choosing, and of drinking a non-package product, in some cases. And if you understand those basic economics, and still don't want to pay for the growler fill, then go buy a sixer! I guarantee you the brewer doesn't care if you buy a case of the pale ale or a couple growlers, so long as the beer is moving out the door. But please, whatever you do, don't get a growler fill of something draft only and then, as it's being filled, ***** about how you could get 8 ounces more of bottles for the same price.

First, don't get mad at the brewers, get mad at your elected representative for the laws breweries operate under.

Second, you're paying the same, or more, per ounce because of the convenience of drinking it at your leisure, at a place and time of your choosing, and of drinking a non-package product, in some cases. And if you understand those basic economics, and still don't want to pay for the growler fill, then go buy a sixer! I guarantee you the brewer doesn't care if you buy a case of the pale ale or a couple growlers, so long as the beer is moving out the door. But please, whatever you do, don't get a growler fill of something draft only and then, as it's being filled, ***** about how you could get 8 ounces more of bottles for the same price.

If its draft only I understand. Obviously. But what do you mean i pay to drink it at a place and time of my choosing? I can't drink it at the bar if I choose. And once I open it i gotta drink it relatively quick or it will go flat. Bottles at least provide the same drink at my leisure benefit without the flat issue. So again I ask what am I paying for? Draft only is one thing, but this place doesnt do that. They bottle everything they also keg. But say I wanna pick up some of their standard IPA. Give me one reason to pick up a growler instead of 6 bottles.

If bottles are cheaper, why make such a big deal out of it?

My guess is that thats the price point they have to set because of differing laws between packaging and filling growlers. That or its a higher price for tourist types. People who are stopping in, like the beer and think "hey, cool, I can take a growler of this beer I just had home with me". Not sure why there would be any tourists in Detroit, but thats another thread. If bottles are cheaper, I'm sure they don't expect the permanent community to buy growlers.

Not Detroit, Mid-Michigan. Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company. I'm not questioning their prices ($7 sounds like a good deal. I hear people on here paying $20+). I'm just wondering if you can fill a growler, drink half, take the rest home. This would make so much sense. Plus the taproom has several coolers full of six packs right there. I'm not mad or anything. I just saw the growlers and asked how much they were. Then got to thinking can I drink that on site?

They bottle everything they also keg. But say I wanna pick up some of their standard IPA. Give me one reason to pick up a growler instead of 6 bottles.
There isn't one. Buy the sixer.

$7 sounds like a good deal.
It is. Buy the growler.

I'm just wondering if you can fill a growler, drink half, take the rest home.
You can't. You can't because of state laws, not because the brewer wants you to buy a growler.

This would make so much sense.
It would make as much sense as buying a keg and then asking why you can't sit at the table drinking from the keg you just bought. In the eyes of the law, a growler is just the same as a 1/2bbl keg.

Then got to thinking can I drink that on site?
You can't, because of the law.

I go to Granite City all the time and fill a growler and drink it there.

$5.00 for a pint or $5 for 2 liters. Alot of people do this. Normally the growlers are $10 but Tuesdays & Thursdays $5.

Basically, it a buck a beer. The last few times I've been drinking the IIPA. The last time I questioned if it was wise do this w/o eating before hand.

http://www.gcfb.net/

Not Detroit, Mid-Michigan. Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company. I'm not questioning their prices ($7 sounds like a good deal. I hear people on here paying $20+). I'm just wondering if you can fill a growler, drink half, take the rest home. This would make so much sense. Plus the taproom has several coolers full of six packs right there. I'm not mad or anything. I just saw the growlers and asked how much they were. Then got to thinking can I drink that on site?
Yea opening a growler at the bar is technically illegal. The brewery could get in big trouble for letting you do that. It sucks, but its the law. I guess technically you could put it in your trunk so there isn't an open container in your car...but you still have half a growler in your body :drunk:. Like everyone said, growlers are to-go only and looks like it is priced accordingly. Its rare that you find packaged beer pricing (growler or bottled) on par with bar pricing. I can buy a Great Lakes 6 pack for $8 in the store. Thats ~$1.33 per bottle. If I go to the brewpub, I pay $3-4 per beer. So why would anyone ever go to the brewpub? ;)

I go to Granite City all the time and fill a growler and drink it there.

$5.00 for a pint or $5 for 2 liters. Alot of people do this. Normally the growlers are $10 but Tuesdays & Thursdays $5.

Basically, it a buck a beer. The last few times I've been drinking the IIPA. The last time I questioned if it was wise do this w/o eating before hand.

http://www.gcfb.net/

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder if its different laws in different states. Or that place is just cool with it, not worried about the law. I can buy a sealed bottle of wine in the wine room, open it and drink it at my table with dinner, then re-cork and take it home. Why wouldn't this apply to the bar.
Anyway thank you. I guess ill call them up and see what their policy is.

They fill kegs? Cornies or full 1/2 barrels? Thats awesome. But yah I understand thats what people will pay but it just doesnt make sense to me to buy a growler. Pints are priced higher because people pay to drink in the bar. Atmosphere, TV's, etc. If I'm drinking at home It makes more sense to buy bottles.

MY BAD.

5 gallon Corny Keg. I should have elaborated. 1/2 barrel. LOL I WISH.

Still 5 gallon keg Cleaned and filled for $40. Consider a glass of the bourbon barrel 22 month ages stout is $8.50, but the keg is the same as thier lite beer. Pick the right beer at my local brewery and it goes from being a deal, to a steal. When I was an extract brewer, I often wondered why i brewed at all given their prices. My all grain is cheaper, but I still can't make their bourbon barrel stout. That's worth paying for.

Back