Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knipknup

Bloody John Roberts
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this book on Amazon and jumped over here to check out any reviews but... there aren't any.

Does anyone have this book? It sounds interesting and not quite the same as all the other how to brew books.

If you have it, do you recommend it?

There was a thread about it a while back. I'm reading it now and am enjoying it. It's not really a how-to book, but it's a fun read.

I've been thinking about picking it up. I know a couple of brewers at some area micros have read it and given it positive reviews. It's been referenced at some recent brewing competitions, too. Take a look here!

I got it today, as a late Christmas present. I'll be reading it this weekend, and let you know. Just glancing at it, it looks pretty interesting!

Lorena

Got it for Christmas also, LOVE IT!. If you are into creating your own beer, not just following a recipie, it is essential. He spends a lot of time explaining the history of different styles, and the characteristics of them. There are many recipies, but the most useful info (to me) is the info on how to tweak and modify 'standard styles' or go off the wall with your own ideas. He covers different mashing schedules for different styles, and gives tips on where to cut corners and where not to. Great addition to a general brewing book for creative and inspired brewers. Most recipies have extract / partial mash conversions if feasible for that recipie.

I just got this book yesterday and it seems very good. The author is an excellent writer and provides some very interesting stuff on brewing. While not really a how-to book (the author assumes the reader either has a certain level of knowledge or will go elsewhere to get it) it does contain a wealth of information on brewing. There's technical stuff interspersed amid the interesting discussions. You can read it if you're into that or ignore it if you're not. A very different book than the other brewing books I have seen. I recommend it highly.

I've spent quite a bit of time lately reading this and I have a couple of thoughts about it. First of all, the first half is great. Like mmditter says, there is alot of great facts and it's interesting reading. I think it will help to improve my beers greatly.

However, it is called "Radical Brewing" and the second half is where he gets radical. Anyone who knows me already knows I'm a beer purist. You know, barley, water, yeast, hops. No wheat, fruit, coriander, orange, etc. Maple and/or honey can be ok, as can oatmeal (for stout) but only in very small doses and for a very good reason. Well, not only does he discuss wheat/corn/other adjuncts, but there are pages upon pages of herbals, etc. I'm not interested in chamomile beer- heck, I don't even like herbal tea! Interesting, but really pretty useless for me.

So, the first half is fabulous. The second half I find useless. It is a long book, though, so I'm pretty happy with the quality of information in there. I much prefer "How to Brew".

Lorena

One thing I noticed after reading the book thoroughly is that Mosher's extract recipes almost all use dry malt extract. Does he prefer this to malt extract syrup? Don't most people use the liquid rather than the dry? Neither of the LBHS's I go to seem to sell much of any dry extract.

mmditter said:
One thing I noticed after reading the book thoroughly is that Mosher's extract recipes almost all use dry malt extract. Does he prefer this to malt extract syrup? Don't most people use the liquid rather than the dry? Neither of the LBHS's I go to seem to sell much of any dry extract.

I'm most of the way through it now - love the book. Yes, he's pretty open about his preference for dry. Having used both, I tend to agree.

I ordered a 44# box of light dry malt extract, so it fits better for me!
On the other hand, I just bottled the Peppercorn Rye Bock. I tasted it uncarbonated and it is gonna be awesome!!! It is an "Oh God, I can't wait" beer.

Back