First brew.... a little unsure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaine

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Hoping that I've found a wealth of practical experience here, to draw upon and to supplement the small amount of knowledge I have gained from 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing'.

Just bottled my first batch today - a 'Muntons' IPA - but have a few concerns over its progess, and I can't get a good idea of the final outcome for another week or so!

-45min boil with 3kg of hopped malt extract with 5.7ltr of filtered water
-Added to 11.5ltr of cold water in carboy and allowed to cool
-At 21C, initial density 1.040, pitched yeast
-8 days, fermentation had subsided considerably though density was 1.023
(figured that this was still way too high and it tasted very sweet still. Checked everyday for a further week and density seemed stable at 1.021 though beery flavours developed during this time.)
-15 days, still 1.021 but with a stronger flavour and losing its sweetness. Primed with 500ml hot water and 85g of dissolved light plain malt, and bottled. Three hours ago.

Based on the calculation, of original gravity minus final gravity x 105, I'm looking at a brew with only 2% alc by volume, which is considerably lower than I had expected
I guess I'm wondering what you folk out there might make of this journal so far... anything stand out as noteworthy/unusual/concerning? Just a little input would be reassuring I guess.

Thanks,
Kaine.

kaine said:
Hey everyone,

Hoping that I've found a wealth of practical experience here, to draw upon and to supplement the small amount of knowledge I have gained from 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing'.

Just bottled my first batch today - a 'Muntons' IPA - but have a few concerns over its progess, and I can't get a good idea of the final outcome for another week or so!

-45min boil with 3kg of hopped malt extract with 5.7ltr of filtered water
-Added to 11.5ltr of cold water in carboy and allowed to cool
-At 21C, initial density 1.040, pitched yeast
-8 days, fermentation had subsided considerably though density was 1.023
(figured that this was still way too high and it tasted very sweet still. Checked everyday for a further week and density seemed stable at 1.021 though beery flavours developed during this time.)
-15 days, still 1.021 but with a stronger flavour and losing its sweetness. Primed with 500ml hot water and 85g of dissolved light plain malt, and bottled. Three hours ago.

Based on the calculation, of original gravity minus final gravity x 105, I'm looking at a brew with only 2% alc by volume, which is considerably lower than I had expected
I guess I'm wondering what you folk out there might make of this journal so far... anything stand out as noteworthy/unusual/concerning? Just a little input would be reassuring I guess.

Thanks,
Kaine.

What is the temperature of the beer right now? When you take hydrometer reading do you do them right in the primary or do you take a sample out? Seem like you did everything right, but did you aerate the wort before you pitched the yeast?

Temp was constant throughout the fermenting process at 16C in my food larder. Crates will be kept somewhere a little warmer for a day or two, then left for a week at around 15/16C again.

Always took out a sample for hydrometer readings. All seems ok then you think?

I suspect you didn't mix the wort enough before taking your OG. This is tough to due in a carboy, unless you're big enough to "just pick it up, raise it over your head and shake the BJ out of it". It was probably closer to 1.050 and your ABV is probably around 3.6. 16C is rather low for most ale yeasts, they are happier in the 21-23C range. I suspect your fermentation got stuck due to the cold temps. Since it already in the bottles there isn't much you can do except watch out for explosions.

Oh blast! Is that a real possibility?!

Is there no contingency, other than to keep the crates in an easy-to-clean environment? :mad:

kaine said:
Oh blast! Is that a real possibility?!

Is there no contingency, other than to keep the crates in an easy-to-clean environment? :mad:

I dont know what you mean by "keeping the crates in an easy to clean enviroment?", but the temperature could be the factor. If you were to ferment the beer like you did and it stopped because of temp, then when you place the fermenter in a warmer area it wakes up the yeast and the fermentation continues. So if you primed and bottled and your keeping the brew in a warmer area, GET YOUR FLAK JACKET AND HELMET!!!! INCOMING!!!!!. You didnt answer my question before, did you aerate your wort?

Hey...

Thanks Usmcruz. I didn't aerate the wort... unless giving the carboy a good roll around the floor and a bit of a shake up counts. And by an easy to clean environment, I meant exactly what you have just reaffirmed... a wipe-down tiled area, 'cos they're gonna blow!!

And thanks to you too Lounge Lizard, you're right with the 3.3%, though they don't state how they arrive at that figure, just confusing there seem to be varying calculations. Is there no definitive calculation?

Got me another brew on this morning... a black ale. Gonna learn from this first batch and ferment in a spare bedroom which I can keep at 20C.

Thanks to all, and a Merry Christmas!

Kaine.

Just something to think about, it sounds like you would favor by getting either the computer program "beersmith", or "promash". Ive been brewing for so long now and either one of those is indispensible. So easy to create a brew, and take all the guessing on whether your calculations are right. Just to let you know, I like beersmith better. Its user friendly and has more features i think. It cost's about 20 bucks. Best 20 bucks ive ever spent. I have no dought that you will do better on this batch. Cheers

Latest posts

Back