Blowoff Timetable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyway1

Reaction score
I am brewing a Blue Moon clone using Wyeast 1218. Created a 500mL starter for a 5 gallon batch, and pitched in a 6-6.5 gal fermenting bucket. I currently am using an airlock, and after 24 hours it is bubbling away (approx. every 3-5 seconds).

I know that every situation is different, but when people have issues with blowoff, how long after pitching do these types of issues tend to occur most often? Within the first 24 hours? Days later? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First 24-48 hours for me. But if its a 6.5 g bucket you might not need one. Just my own experiences...

My experience has been up to 48-72 after pitching is when it gets close to or goes through the blowoff. Ive had it be very very close to blowing out in a 7 gallon carboy (5 gallon batch).

I do not have a much trouble when I use a bucket since they do not seem to be as airtight as a carboy. That said I almost always use a blow off tube.

I switch over after the krausen starts to subside, which can be difficult to see, with all the leftovers on the top of the carboy.

Back