More Malt in Mash and Longer boil times vs Less (Stone Brewing Methods)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aron2382

Reaction score
So I recently saw some recipes from Stone Brewing and noticed they use almost twice the amount of malt needed in a 5 gallon batch, they then run off about 7 gallons of wort and boil down to 5 gal. Some recipes even called for a boil time of 2.5 hrs. I know this method can be used to achieve higher gravity in your final 5 gallons as well as producing color affects in beer. Just wondering what other reasons and benefits there may be from using these two methods.

I have achieved a good 1.06 or higher easily with less grain and 60 minute boils. Just curious what may be the goal behind this other than getting higher gravity beers and changing the color of the beers. Their beers are great so I'm sure there are reasons I'm unaware of. Any reasons and benefits behind both of these methods (more malt and longer kettle times) please let me know.

Proust ya'll,
:mug:

Aron

Last edited:
Link to the recipes? I don't really understand 7 gallons to boil down to 5? That is what I have to do every time. But that is for 1 hour. If I boiled 2.5 hours I would only have 3.5 gallons so the gravity would be very high.

From what I've found so far is that Kettle Caramelization and Maillard Reaction is one of the main reasons. Any other reasons you know of please post.

Back