@$%&!!! It is supposed to wash the bottle, not me!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
ARRRGhhhh!

I got one of these recently.

double-blast.jpg

Aside from having all sorts of problems adapating it to my kitchen sink... which I gave up on. (Damn new fangled faucet!!!)

I am now trying it in the basement as I have a hot water spigot with a standard hose fitting on it. Probelem is everytime I turn on the water the slightest movement causes the "quick disconnect" to quickly dissconect and wash me before I can even get a bottle on there. Anyone have one of these things and can 'splain how to keep it together? I seems like a great idea for washing bottles, unfortunately I have some slight technical difficulties to overcome first.

Help? :confused:

Meanwhile I will attempt to set-up a utility sink...

Ha ha ha

Glad someone else got suckered into getting one of these. I had the exact same problems with mine. It cleaned well but as you said, just the littlest pressure and the disconnect seperates and you get soaked. I used mine the one time and its sitting in a plastic bag on the shelf in my brew area. POS!!!

hah!

That was my immediate thought. Unfortunately of the 6 or some rolls I have kicking around I could not locate one. Guess I'll go buy more...

Tough it is not exactly a permanent solution. ;)

actually it just occured to me that I could just swap out the fittings entirely. Afterall the fittings are only connected by hose clamps and barbs. Hmmm, a new part search begins.

I have the single jet version of this bottle washer, and it is fantastic. One of the best pieces of kit that I bought for brewing. You really do need to get this working.

I didn't realize there was a disconnect on the twin jet model. Is it right at the hose? I am not sure I understand the problem. Does the hose disconnect from the faucet unexpectedly? That definitely shouldn't happen.

As suggested, I would be tempted to remove the disconnect from the hose entirely, and just put on a regular connector like one uses to repair a garden hose. But maybe I am not understanding the problem either.... :eek:

I'll try and get a shot of the dissconnect cause I do not know if I can explain it very well. Yes it is right where the hose connects to the faucet. There is the female brass fitting that screws on to the faucet then just below is a plastic piece that has a ridge part way around the circumference. The hose then has two plastic prongs that fit on in the middle of the ring (where the is no ridge) and you turn it so they "lock". Trouble is the slightest movement when it is under pressure and the prongs slip back to the middle and it pops apart. Clear as mud yes? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'll get a photo.

No, I think that makes sense. I would return it for another one -- that disconnect shouldn't come apart so easily.

The other alternative is to remove the disconnect and add a permanent female coupling to the end so it can't come apart. I would just be tempted to do this.

I have this washer and, yes, i've been soaked a few times by the poorly thought out disconnect, too. I've since just learned to deal with it. It's twisting the hose that does it, so I am now just careful not to twist it to the disconnect point (90 degrees from the most secure orientation, axially) and I have the washer held down in the sink with a big, heavy bike lock laying across the washer (it's the only heavy, waterproof thing I had lying around). Once set up, everything is fine unless I move either the faucet head or the bottle washer. Then, you get wet.

I would recommend the single spout version though, and save yourself the hassle. I rarely need to disconnect washer while using it, so perhaps I'll just epoxy the disconnect permanently connected, as suggested here.

Latest posts

Back