Advice on H.G. Beer to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
My LHBS is closed for a month and I am going to order a kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. i would like to get advice on a recipe to buy. i would like to try a high gravity beer, never done one, but would like something lighter in color and taste. something that i can drink in the summer around the pool.

anyone here have any suggestions.

thanks

A lot of the strong belgians are pretty high ABV, but the ferment out very dry and have a light body. Its a bit pricy, and I'm not sure howe new to brwing you are, so this may be a little complicated if you haven't ever done a partial mash, but this would be great Click Me

i would go the way of the triple just for the fact that if you do a barleywine or double IPA then you're runnign into hop problems. i think they're changing the kits to have less hops. or less noble and more high alpha. throws off the balence. i havent used a kit in a long time but thats what i hear at least

Also consider the 1% abv boost that AHS offers on all their kits, if you want something a little stronger but still good for summer.
Also, some corn sugar and Montrachet wine yeast will get you in good shape to make EdWort's Apfelwein, which is light in color and body, and packs a punch.
Lastly, if you can wait until next weekend, they're having a big sale. Forrest, their owner, posts here and has indicated that everything will be discounted. That could make the big belgian triple a little easier to swing.

Back