Rushed my last brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolimits67

Reaction score
Brewed the Muntons Mexican Style Cerveza kit. Few changes to recipe.
Got 3 gallons of water up to boil and added 1lb Bries light DME, and .5lb rice syrup solids, and boiled for 20 minutes. Flameout and added the Cerveza kit, lid on, sat for 20 minutes.

I dumped 2 gallons of water I had boiled and chilled down to around 80 into the pot hoping it would cool faster. It was probably 130F or so at this point. I planned to throw it in an ice bath to get it down to temp, so I went ahead and dumped this into my plastic bucket fermenter through a strainer and proceeded to aerate with drill and stir widget. This process cooled the wort to around 110F - 120F. Took a while to chill it down to 80 at which point I pitched rehydrated saf05.

I usually use a immersion chiller and get my wort down to pitching temp before tossing in the bucket and aerating and pitching.

So I'm just wondering where I'll be in 5 weeks having dumped some fairly hot wort into a bucket and aerating it and taking so long to have it cool to pitching temp. My sanitizing process is rigorous.

Should be fine since you waited to pitch the yeast. I'm just wondering if 80 degrees is a little warm. I pitch mine at 70 usually. But shouldn't be bad.

As long as you pitched it at 80 you should be fine. That's the temp I aim for before I throw more cold water in and throw in the yeast.

Latest posts

Back