Wine help needed please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straydogs

Reaction score
I was in the process of making a batch of Jack Kellers strawberry wine, it sat in a open primary covered with a towel. The recipe says to pour the liquids into the secondary ( glass carboy) and now it has about a inch and a half of sediment and no action in the air lock. Did i ruin this batch or can it be saved?

So did you literally POUR the contents from primary to secondary? If so, then yes, you have potentially oxidized the batch. It is going to be undrinkable if it is oxydized? Probably not, but it won't taste the way it was intended.
If you didn't pour it, and you used a racking cane/siphon to carefully transfer the wine over, then I would say you were too rough with it and stirred up the yeast at the bottom.
The purpose of racking is to carefully get the wine off of the yeast and trying not to cause any splashing that could oxydize the batch. It it was or wasn't properly siphoned, I would rack it again using a proper method to get it off the lees (yeast at the bottom).

i disagree, you will always aerate your wine while using a siphon, no matter how careful you are about it the oxygen is going to get in, the most imporant thing is doing it quickly.

If it was still fermenting good say around sg 1.030 when you "poured" it ,I say rack it off the lees and top it up. Should be fine

So does the secondary fermentation flare up again in the carboy when it's been transferred away from the primary lees?

No. Secondary fermentation is more about taking the wine off the lees. If you then filled the excess room with fruit juice or something containing sugar, it would ferment a little faster than it was preciously. But generally, primary is the most vigorous fermentation.

Dicky

It will seem to because of the smaller neck of the carboy verses the primary.

Back