Blending store-bought juice - good idea or pointless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Looking to get some feedback on the merits of blending different store-bought juices to add a touch of complexity to my hard cider. I picked up some Mott's (with and without "pulp") and some Murray's unfiltered juice, and was planning to ferment about 4 gallons of a blend of these (with pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient and sugar added to reach an OG of about 1.060 to 1.065) with the White Labs English Cider yeast, before backsweetening (if necessary) with more juice.

Does blending these types of juices make a perceivable difference, or are they too similar? Does the pulp in the unfiltered juice contribute tannins that the filtered juice does not?

Blending different juices will give it a slightly different taste but in my experience it is only noticeable if you have the original there to compare it against. As for the unfiltered juice, it should give the pretty much the same results the only difference is that the final product won't become crystal clear. I did a batch using apples instead of apple juice and it was cloudy but still tasted fantastic. Almost too much so because now it is all gone.

Back