Witbier: Standard Additions for Orange & Corriander?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I am designing a Witbier for a 5.5 gallon recipe. What are the standard addition times and amounts for the Bitter Orange Peel and Coriander?

Beer Smith seems to default both to .83 oz. @ 5 minutes for each.

What do you think/usually do?

Here's what I roll wit: 0.5oz Coriander and 0.25oz Sweet Orange Peel at 5 minutes left in the boil. Then, at roughly 2 weeks I rack to secondary along with 0.5oz Coriander.

The aroma and taste profile is comparable to Hoegaarden or Allagash White.

Here's what I roll wit: 0.5oz Coriander and 0.25oz Sweet Orange Peel at 5 minutes left in the boil. Then, at roughly 2 weeks I rack to secondary along with 0.5oz Coriander.

The aroma and taste profile is comparable to Hoegaarden or Allagash White.

Made one Wit and it used this schedule for the extras. I'm assuming 5 minutes is to sterilize the ingredients.

Here's my wit

Witbier

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.00 %
3 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Grains of Paradise (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

Here's my wit

That is EXACTLY the grain bill I am using for mine. I am going with Saaz but only planned on a bittering addition at 60 minutes to hit about 11 IBU. I've never heard of "Grains of Paradise". Looks like they might add a bit of a peppery spice? I'm gonna go with your additions of orange and coriander. Looks awesome...I vaguely recall a post you made about finishing your last bottle of Wit and being sad about it.

That is EXACTLY the grain bill I am using for mine. I am going with Saaz but only planned on a bittering addition at 60 minutes to hit about 11 IBU. I've never heard of "Grains of Paradise". Looks like they might add a bit of a peppery spice? I'm gonna go with your additions of orange and coriander. Looks awesome...I vaguely recall a post you made about finishing your last bottle of Wit and being sad about it.

Yeah, and I brewed another batch on the 27th, only this time instead of pitching on the saison cake I used a large starter of bottle harvested hoegaarden. This is the one I posted in the tap room about the huge krausen.

Guess what, after over 2 weeks, I still have the huge krausen. I took a reading on Saturday and it is at 1.009, so it's done, but that krausen is hanging on.

If it were in a bucket I would skim it and harvest that, but it's in my better bottle. I don't have a way to cold crash it easily, so I don't know what I'm going to end up doing if the krausen won't fall.

The hydro sample tasted awesome though.

Back