Dry hopping with bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
Would it be OK to dry hop with bittering hops with an AA of around 8-10%? I have found some cheap hop vines for sale, trouble is they only have Smoothcone vines for sale. I will only be brewing with pre hopped LME and I'm looking to add a bit more flavour to my brews.

Given that the hops have a good taste, it shouldn't be an issue, since you need a boil to extract the IBU's from the hops. I think.

Am I right in assuming that the AA% bears little significance in dryhopping?

I've got no idea what they taste like.

Well, if they taste good then they'll be a good dryhop. But I've been brewing for a while, and never heard of them so I'm a bit doubtful. Generally, any "good" hops that you'd use for flavor or aroma can be used for dryhopping. But if there isn't a great flavor and aroma, I wouldn't dry hop with them.

It's a parent of Nelson Sauvin, from NZ. Never heard of it other than that, though, so dunno. I wouldn't personally dry hop with a hop I'd never tried at all though. Google and see if you can find more info on them.

USDA ACCESSION NO.: 66056
OIL: 1.00 ml/100 g (5-year range 0.38-1.14 ml);
Humulene 20.7%; caryophyllene 6.1%; myrcene 55.2%
Farnesene trace. H/C ratio = 3.38

Sounds good. Also says it's much like Cluster. Apparently it's not grown commercially any more.

Given that the hops have a good taste, it shouldn't be an issue, since you need a boil to extract the IBU's from the hops. I think.

Am I right in assuming that the AA% bears little significance in dryhopping?
You are correct.

Since you're using them for dry hop the AA% doesn't come into play.

Just make sure they taste good as previously mentioned.

Back