ginger beer plant.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about keeping a ginger beer plant going.
I'll do some interweb reading before I do but I know you guys populate the interwebs.

A few thoughts.

I figure there's 3 types of ginger beer.
  1. The flavoured soda. No alcohol.
  2. Traditional Ginger beer with low ABV
  3. Beer with ginger.
I'm looking for the water sugar ginger variety which I guess would be No.2
Dead easy, figure the abv I want and dial in the amount of sugar/gallon I want.

I'd like to also keep a ginger plant ticking over.
For me this just seems like keeping a yeast cake going from batch to batch but you do it with a starter sized batch first rather than the remnants of a first brew.
Am I on track so far?

A few questions.

Would it be so bad if I used a yeast cake to start a plant?
Would it be bad if it's kept going with powdered ginger?
How can I make a lower ABV version? is it purely less sugar and wouldn't it need to be sweeter to make it tasty?

Is there a definitive ginger beer thread I've missed.

In the mean time to get me going. Here's the plan.

A big handful of peeled root ginger. Yes I know that's a lot for a gallon but keep with me.
Sliced rather then grated or bruised. equal amount of water and sugar by volume. Boil.
Add the root ginger to a mason jar and cover with the syrup. Now we have a jar of candied ginger preserve. Add the remaining syrup to a half a demijohn of cold water. and top up with water.
Lucky guess or experience gave me an OG of 1040.
I've added some Witworth yeast I had in the fridge and I will wait and see.
If there's not enough ginger buzz after 4 days I'll add a little fresh grated root.

I think this thread may be better in the mindless mumbling.

Orfy, the ginger beer noob.

Have you thought about what kind of sugars you are going to use for the ginger beer itself? I really suggest getting yourself some Jaggery or some other form of unrefined sugar, and maybe some dark/amber candi sugar. This type of sugar will leave residual sweetness and flavor without having to depend too much on stevia/splenda/xythol, etc. YMMV.

I just bought some Ginger Beer Plant, but I'm waiting for the weather to get a little warmer before trying it out. I'm looking to do the traditional ginger beer. Here is a really good blog entry on making it

The Mad Fermentationist: Ginger Beer Plant 101

I'm wondering if there is a way to do a hybrid ginger beer/beer.

Back