1st beer a success?...maybe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlevings12

Reaction score
So just opened my first bottle of my first ever brew. I did a porter w/ cold coffee extract and vanilla infusion during secondary. Opened this a couple days early just to see what was in store.

Carbonation was just right. No sediment. Did notice one thing though. A lot of microbrews I taste, have a "soap like" aftertaste. Mine has this as well. Any thoughts on what caused this or what I can do to produce smoother brews in the future? Thanks as always and happy brewing!

I would leave the beer sit for a few weeks and see if it settles out. Another possibility would be the glassware that you used - was it hand washed or dishwasher washed?

You should have a set of BEER glasses that are used for nothing else. That's what my German born Papa always said. Of course that was before we had a dishwasher! But I still have my heavy glass mugs that stay in the fridg and really keep the beer cold while I drink it.

Well, the majority are brew pub beers, not necessarily commercial breweries. As for the other comments, I don't think it's my glassware. I think I'll wait another few days to see if the flavor changes.

You should have a set of BEER glasses that are used for nothing else. That's what my German born Papa always said.

+1 to that. some people also taste a soapy taste with some hops, like with simcoe combined with cascade (e.g. ranger ipa). not me... i love ranger ipa, but many people say it tastes soapy

lumpher said:
+1 to that. some people also taste a soapy taste with some hops, like with simcoe combined with cascade (e.g. ranger ipa). not me... i love ranger ipa, but many people say it tastes soapy

I think you hot it head on. Definitely used cascade hops. I love ranger ipa as well. Perhaps moving through the process impatiently due to lack of experience led to this. Thanks all for the insight.

Back