Strange Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I've just completed my second all-grain batch and while the beer is excellent, the head is a bit strange. One beer, a Sweet Stout, the other a Newcastle Brown. Both 5 gal batches.

The head on these appears and looks normal although it doesn't hang around long. The strange part is the way it spritzes. It's kinga like pouring a coke in a glass. The bubbles pop and throw a fine mist rather than just die down. More like a sparkling wine than a beer.

I carbonated as I always have with 5 oz of corn sugar boiled and added to the bottling bucket.

This appears to be associated with the all-grain brews. Never had this with the many extracts and partial extracts I've brewed.

Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks, Alan

Sounds like it could be a FG issue. Are your AG batches drying out more than the extract batches you brewed? A low FG will decrease the viscosity of the beer and the bubbles will be more fizzy.

Back