secondary = bottling bucket???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
so I've been reading howtobrew.com and the instructions with my hoptech kit.

it says 1. ferment (2 weeks) 2. Bottling bucket (10 minutes) 3. bottles (2 weeks)

So what does "racking to seconday"mean???

sorry!

it's an optional step that you can take that helps with the clarity of the beer, AND allows you to age your beer for long amounts of time without fear of the yeast causing off-flavors.

Repeat, this is an optional step. Palmer shows you the easiest way to brew a batch, and that just involves a primary fermenter and into the bottles (via the bottling bucket.)

WHat a lot of us do is let the beer ferment in the primary (glass or plastic), then when fermentation is basically done, we siphon the beer out of the fermenter and into a clean new one (normally glass), and we leave all the sediment behind.

The beer can then sit for long periods of time in the secondry fementer (from weeks to months, even years) before you siphon it into the bottling bucket and bottle it.

as a beginner, I suggest doing the easy way for the first few batches. this is just one more step in a process that you are just learning about. Get a few batches under your belt, and when you're feeling confidant, use a secondary fermenter and see how it affects your beer.

happy brewin!

-walker

ok thanks.

just got to that portion in the howtobrew.com. :)

Ima gonna skip the secondary for now. too much risk of areating or contaminating the beer.

Thanks again.

as a beginner, I suggest doing the easy way for the first few batches. this is just one more step in a process that you are just learning about. Get a few batches under your belt, and when you're feeling confidant, use a secondary fermenter and see how it affects your beer.

Not to be contentious, but I am on my second batch. My first batch was extract with specialty grains. I fermented in a bucket, racked to a secondary for a week, then bottled. I was advised to do a few with extract recipes before I tried Mini Mash.
My second batch I got the Mini Mash recipe. I started the day after I bottled the first. I did my primary in one carboy for a week, racked to my secondary glass carboy today.
Everything has gone well. A few minor errors which did not affect the brew to this point. My next recipe will be a Porter and I will add doing a big starter out of the liquid yeast and a full 5 gallon boil.
I am not one to be cautious. While I agree that others should if they are not comfortable with the next step, I advise people to go at the pace they are comfortable with. Mine happens to be full bore, like most things I do.
What is the worst that can happen with brewing?

Back