My second attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creston24

Reaction score
Ok, again a noob here. My first 'rescue' batch, you can read about in my other post. So, on to my second batch. This time with a bit more knowledge, I already seem to be having better results.

Again, I decided to try with some store bought apple juice. Wanted to try and keep cost down until I get better at the process. This time I am using Mott's brand apple juice. I know, probably not the best, but again, it's still just experimental. This time I am trying WLP002 English Ale Yeast, on the suggestion from the local brew supply store. On 11.27/15 my initial readings were, SG of 1.050 with just juice, no other sugar added. This time, I pulled the yeast out of the fridge, and let it warm up a bit. While this was going on, I sanitized all of my supplies. I added the juice, 2 gallons to my 3 gallon carboy and then pitched the yeast. After about 12 hours I started seeing activity in the vapor lock, at one 'burp' every 20 seconds. At 16 hours or so, it is down to one 'burp' every 15 seconds and there is a nice 2 inch head on the juice. I also got a stick on thermometer strip from the brew store and it is reading between 70 and 72 degrees. I know that this yeast says 65-68 degrees but the temp swings here right now are 67 days and low 40s at night, and the activity in the carboy seem to be pretty active, so I am not too worried about it right now. Attached is a picture of the current batch.
AF1QipNJkJc2TUb-ft5ElSRzOsQlegMDlddlqKtPrXi3
Hopefully that image posts.

2ndcider_day_3_11_29.jpg

Last edited:
Back