Best source for bulk distilled water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any popular stores that carry distilled water in large containers? Everyone around here seems to carry 1-gallon jugs, at best. I'm looking for something like the 3-gallon containers that are common for spring water.

SixFoFalcon said:
Does anyone know of any popular stores that carry distilled water in large containers? Everyone around here seems to carry 1-gallon jugs, at best. I'm looking for something like the 3-gallon containers that are common for spring water.

Don't use distilled for brewing.

BYO magazine suggests the opposite for extract brewing. Their rationale is that the desired salts and minerals are already concentrated in the extract. Adding more via tap water, spring water, etc. will change the flavor profile from what the manufacturer intended.

Unless your tap water is not drinkable or you have galvinized pipes, you really don't need to use bottled water. I get my water from the great city of Detroit and it is just fine for brewing beer and wine.

OK, I think I need to clarify my intentions a little more... I know that my tap water, or spring water, or filtered water, are all fine for brewing. I have made a few batches with each, and they all turned out to be good beers.

Malt extract is made by reducing/evaporating much of the water (or all of the water in the case of DME) from a large batch of wort. All the salts and minerals from the complete wort remain in the reduced malt extract--they are concentrated, just as the malt sugars, and flavor and color compounds are concentrated in the extract. In order to get back to the exact characteristics of the original wort, you need to put back in exactly what was taken out--pure water.

If you add any additional salts or minerals via the water you add to make your wort, you are changing the flavor characteristics. I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, but it is another variable that you would need to consider in the planning stages. Going with distilled or RO water makes it much easier to predict what the final product will taste like.

Go find a local fish store. They will sell RO/DI (99.99999% pure) by the gallon. Bring your own containers.
Don't forget to marvel the reef setups. If I wasn't moving in a year or two I'd have my 72 gallon bowfront set up right now.

I Have been looking at my local grocery store for distilled water to mix my star san with but have not been able to find it. Where do they usally stock this stuff?

tbulger said:
I Have been looking at my local grocery store for distilled water to mix my star san with but have not been able to find it. Where do they usally stock this stuff?

They sell it right on the shelves with the spring water at all the groceries here.

I have also noticed that it is marginally cheaper at Whole Foods because they have their own brand. (My local stores, Kroger and Publix do not.)

No reason not to use Distilled.

You can usually find the distilled water in the bulk water section. Wal-mart carries it, Krogers, etc.

Mine comes from Meijer (It's like a walmart for those who don't have em). 3 gallons for about 3 bucks. I say use yeast nutrient when brewing with distilled just to make sure those little guys have everything they need.

You may be lucky and can find a water store. I have one by my house and we take our 5 gal water jugs there for refills. It's cheaper than the Arrowhead or Sparkletts delivery guys. And it also doubles up as a smoothie shop!

Walmart sells the larger contaners. Some gracery stores will sell the 5 gallon plastic carboys that you can fill yourlelf for around $2.00 or more, but it's filtered tap water.

I suggest using tap water with a filter such as PUR or Brita. The on faucet work well and filter up to 100 gallons. For larger quantities they sell inline filters that last longer. My tap water was not the best so I started using a three stage filter with the added carbon filter.

There is a reason to use distilled water with extract.

When extract is made they evaporate the water from the wort, the water is removed, but the salts/minerals do not evaporate. So you are left with a concentrated wort with all the salts needed. Now if you add water with more salts then it will effect the flavor.

Does it effect the beer enough to matter? Make 2 batches one with distilled and one with tap and see.

D*Bo said:
Go find a local fish store. They will sell RO/DI (99.99999% pure) by the gallon. Bring your own containers.
Don't forget to marvel the reef setups. If I wasn't moving in a year or two I'd have my 72 gallon bowfront set up right now.
:off:
LOL! I looked at this initially and was like WTF? Why would anyone go to the fishmonger for water.

Safeway has 2.5 gallon R/O water here. I use mostly the R?O from the expensive and wasteful under-the-counter R?O system I was dumb enough to buy, but when I need a lot of water fast I pick up a jug or two.

They also have R?O ice, if you cool your wort the wrong way like I do :)

SixFoFalcon said:
OK, I think I need to clarify my intentions a little more... I know that my tap water, or spring water, or filtered water, are all fine for brewing. I have made a few batches with each, and they all turned out to be good beers.

Malt extract is made by reducing/evaporating much of the water (or all of the water in the case of DME) from a large batch of wort. All the salts and minerals from the complete wort remain in the reduced malt extract--they are concentrated, just as the malt sugars, and flavor and color compounds are concentrated in the extract. In order to get back to the exact characteristics of the original wort, you need to put back in exactly what was taken out--pure water.

If you add any additional salts or minerals via the water you add to make your wort, you are changing the flavor characteristics. I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, but it is another variable that you would need to consider in the planning stages. Going with distilled or RO water makes it much easier to predict what the final product will taste like.

Makes plenty of sense, same goes for when working with salt nutrients in a hydroponic setup. You can use RO (reverse osmosis) water. Distilled is just this (at least in my neck of the woods according to the label). Someone also suggested the Glacier brand fill-ups outside of the super markets. You may need to buy one of those 5gal water barrels. You make good sense and my first batch will be with RO water. Buy an RO filter for your home - ebay has em cheap - well worth it.

wild said:
Save the gas, money, and time. Try these:
http://www.steamdistiller.com/
http://www.aquasana.com/?&discountcode=GOh2o
http://www.waterdistiller.com/

There are a whole host of others to choose from. My folks had a big contraption that'd fill a 1-gallon bottle in 2 hours. They used it for coffee and all sorts of stuff around the house.

Wild

A whole gallon in 2hrs!? Wtf.. I'd fall back asleep by the time the coffee was ready to brew.. Hah.. These days there are more efficient devices..

Ridemywideglide said:
I noticed a comment about galvanized pipes..?? I have those..:(
What's the effects or concerns with galvy?

galvanized = zinc

If your water tastes fine, probably no ill effect. If the coating is breaking down, you may get metalic tastes in the water. If the pipes are really old, you may get rust in the water. Pour a big glass of water and let it sit undisturbed for a couple days. If sediment settles to the bottom, I'd try to avoid drinking that water, let alone brewing with it.

Back