Memphis, and its craft beer market (or lack there-of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
I moved to Memphis 4.5 years ago in an attempt to get into school at UT, here. I left Knoxville having a very immature concept of what good, craft beer really was. In fact, I tried my hand at distillation and even built my own stove-top still (I know, taboo on the site and illegal...please dont flag). The only reason I include the previous sentence is to show I had a little bit of experience with yeast and fermentation.

Anyway, when I got here in Memphis, I found that there is really only one brewery/brewpub in the area. It's Bosco's/Ghost River Brewery. There were once 2 Bosco's locations, one in my neighborhood, Midtown, and one out in the suburbs (the burbs location has now since closed). Since the food at Bosco's is excellent I can only think that it was the lack of beer revenue that ultimately closed its doors.

In a city where local craft brew is in a stifling market, and a population unwilling or unable to support more than one brewery, we have 2 (count them...2) Flying Saucers within 15 minutes of eachother. Im sure many of us are familiar with Flying Saucers and the only other highest concentration of Saucers is in Dallas/Ft Worth area, which I think have 3 but they are much farther apart. Im sure someone from the area could enlighten us.

The point of my little blog, here, is to comment on Memphis's craft brew situation. It's ironic, that a city the size of Memphis (roughly ~1.3 million people) cannot support more local brew but can support 2 emporiums with more than 200 different kinds of beers and easily 75 or so on tap.

I know we have some Memphis brewers on the forum, and Im sure maybe one or two of them have thought about pursuing the "brew pub/micro" idea, buts its got to be awfully intimidating to attempt to sell in the local market. Anyway, the point being, I wish Memphis had the market to support more breweries to rival cities of similar size.

If you are lucky enough to live in a city where the "beer flows like wine" count your blessings. Anyway, back to football.
-Jefe-

Latest posts

Back