Ringwood Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I used WLP005 for my 2 St. Patty's Day brews: Irish Stout and Red Ale. It was a compromise as I wanted to use it for an English IPA too. I just opened a bottle of Shipyard Old Thumper and it jumped out at me. It has a very distinctive flavor/aroma. I do not think I am a big fan. I got less than expected attenuation on both beers even after rousing the carboy so I am not using it for the IPA. But, I got no complaints from my guests and a then handful of us almost emptied 2 kegs.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this yeast?

Is WLP005 Ringwood? It doesn't mention it in the description. I think Wyeast markets one #1187.

Anyway I heard the brewer from Shipyard say that his Ringwood yeast is not the same as Wyeasts. He has developed his own strain over the years. I'm curious though because I read post where some folks just don't care for it. That has kind of made me shy away from experimenting with it.

I also read an interview with Shipyard's brewer. He mentioned that they continually reuse the yeast and so it has changed over time--thus it is not exactly like the original Ringwood that he got from the Ringwood Brewery in England. Perhaps that's why Wyeast's sample is different too.

I've used 005 several times with English bitters and I like it a lot. I don't know how well it would work though, if you are looking for neutral, dry outcome. It tends to be kinda fruity and leave some sugar behind. Good for a bitter, but not necessarily for a dry stout.

I'm no expert, but maybe Nottingham or S-05 would do better for the dry stout and IPA? Whatever you choose, good luck with it. Cheers

Well, yeah the guy from Shipyard says that they use a multi yeast blend....but all I know is that very distinctive flavor/aroma is in the Shipyard beer and the last 2 I brewed and I am not a big fan. Maybe they add another strain to help finish off the fermentation so that they don't have to shake their fermenters to help rouse the yeast.

Yes, the WLP005 and Wyeast 1187 are the same according to the chart on Mr Malty's website.

Monk, I have already brewed, kegged, and served these beers. The published attenuation should have been dead on for all the styles but I came up short on each.

Back