redhook ESB clone recepie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zbeeblebrox

Reaction score
ok well with my first brew in the bag (bottles) its time for me to start thinking about my next brew. and well i really like redhooks ESB so i was thinking why not try to make a clone of it. just wondering if anyone here has done a clone of it and wouldn't mind sharing the recipe. also wonder how it turned out?

I've done one. It was pretty good. It seems to me it's pretty close but I can't really remember. I made it about a year and a half ago.

If it's not under my avatar in the recipe pull-down, I'll post it.

Brew Your Own magazine's "150 Classic Clone Recipes" said:
Redhook ESB

SG = 1.054
FG = 1.015
IBU = 27
SRM = 13
ABV = 5%

1.75# Light DME
3.75# Amber LME
1# pale 2-row
1# Caramunich

5 AAU Willamette hops - 60 mins
2 AAU Tettnanger hops - 15 mins
2.5 AAU Willamette hops - 15 mins
1.5 oz Tettnanger - steep 5 mins post boil
1.5 oz Willamette hops - steep 5 mins post boil

Irish moss - 15 mins

Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) or White Labs WLP004 (Irish Ale) yeast

Steep grains for 45 mins at 150dF in 4.5 quarts of water. Add water to make 3 gallons, add DME and boil 45 minutes, add LME and boil 15 more minutes.

I've never brewed this recipe, so I can't say if it is any good or not.

I don't like that it calls for steeping 2-row and Munich malts. Those are not steeping grains, they need to be mashed. Steeping will just wash unconverted starches into your wort. I would either drop them altogether or do a minimash with them.

ok, here's mine:

6 pounds LME
1 lb DME
1 lb 60L crystal

1 oz Tettnanger hops 60 minutes
1 oz Willamette hops 60 minutes
1 oz Willamette hops 20 minutes
1 oz Tettnanger hops 2 minutes.

Steep grains at 150 degrees in 2.5 gallons water for 15-20 minutes. Remove grains and add extracts. Bring to a boil, and add 1 oz each of Willamette and Tettnanger hops. At 20 minutes left in the boil, add 1 oz Willamette hops. Add 1 oz Tettnanger hops will 2 minutes left in the boil.

I used Nottingham yeast and fermented at a cool temperature- about 62 degrees. It looks like the sg was 1.052 and I don't remember what it finished at. It was pretty good!

I've been thinking about cloning this myself. I just had a RH esb yesterday, and I noticed a bit of esters in the flavor that I assume come from the yeast. I might make Yooper's recipe but use s-04 and ferment around 67F. That will give it a bit of esters and a touch of diacytel, both of which give this brew a nice complex flavor/aroma. Just my 2 cents and I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. Good luck with your brew, however you formulate it, Zaph!

monk

Back