Is this a normal amount of krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
I checked the gravity on my Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale clone just a second ago and was really surprised by the amount of krausen still on top. This photo is on the 12th day of fermentation at 67-68. SG was 1.062, current gravity is 1.020. I thought the krausen would have dropped by now, is this normal?

100_1907.jpg

Here's my method and recipe.

Mini-mash for 60 minutes at 165 in 2 gallon water
- 1 lb dark munich malt
- 1/2 lb chocolate malt
- 1/2 lb caramunich II

Sparge for 10 min at 165 in 1 gallon water

3 gallon total boil

Bring to boil (60 minute total)
- 45 minutes to go add 1/2 oz cascade 5.9%
- 20 Min to go add 3 lb extra light DME
- 15 min to go add 1/2 oz willamette 5.1
- 10 min to go add 3 lbs extra light DME

Top off to five gallons

SG 1.062 at 70

Pitch rehydrated us-05 at 70 deg.

Does my recipe sound about right for a good brown?

Thanks.

My first impression when I saw that was "Oh man I shouldn't be here". But, I had the turkey baster sanitized and in hand so I went ahead and pulled a sample. I was hoping to transfer to secondary in about 4 days, but it's looking like it will probably need extra primary time. 10 days before I check again?

sure, 10 days sounds great. next time don't look in the lid. Use the force young skywalker... or just have faith in your beer. I've never had an infection in 50+ batches and I've done some REALLY stupid things. :D

I try not to be an impatient noob and peek. This was the first time I checked on it. I really thought at 12 days it would be ready for secondary. I'll wait 10 more and check on it again. Can anyone help me out with an estimated FG?

Latest posts

Back