Md Spring brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When should we do it!

• April 19

• April 20

• April 26

• April 27

• May 3

• May 4

• May10

• May11

• May17

• May18

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have gobs of bottles for ya dude.....btw, bring your CFC stuff, we'll build that saturday real quick

Yeah, I know the feeling. At one point I had some ~20 cases of bottles. Then I got my keezer and started parting out bottles to my friends.

I know I want to keep a few in case I want to bottle a batch myself - but I don't ever see more than 1 batch ever being bottled at my place.

I want to start working on a keezer, but I found out yesterday that I owed the state $650 for taxes....someone ****ed up somewhere and it wasn't me, I claim 0

I think Maryland just wanted to take it out of all of our butts this year. I had a kid this year, but that didn't reduce my taxable income any! Had to pay over $500. :mad:

Ah well... at least the kid will have a good public school.

jpsloan said:
I think Maryland just wanted to take it out of all of our butts this year. I had a kid this year, but that didn't reduce my taxable income any! Had to pay over $500. :mad:

Ah well... at least the kid will have a good public school.

Yeah - as long as you don't live in the city.

jezter6 said:
Yeah - as long as you don't live in the city.

Moving to a house in New Market in two weeks. He's going to live three blocks away from his elementary school!

Wish I had that when I grew up.

Added bonus... I'll finally get to start AG brewing! Might start kegging, and washing yeast... IT NEVER ENDS! :drunk:

jpsloan said:
Moving to a house in New Market in two weeks. He's going to live three blocks away from his elementary school!

Wish I had that when I grew up.

Added bonus... I'll finally get to start AG brewing! Might start kegging, and washing yeast... IT NEVER ENDS! :drunk:
Im buying ahouse too in the next couple weeks.....

gonna get a keezer. need to get keggin stuff.

I should be there on Saturday (10 am ok?).

I'll be bringing ingredients, my kettle and IC. Don't have a portable burner, so I'll need to borrow somebodies (if one is available).

I plan on bringing some bottles for those that need, some homebrew for those that need and a Sanke keg I have kicking around (in case someone is looking to make a keggle).

I got to cut out of there in time to be in Columbia by 6 pm...it is my mothers birthday.

Update:
I have now purchased all of the ingredients that were posted earlier.
We'll have three different yeasts: WL Wit, WL Saison, Wyeast Wit.
I've got starters going for the Saison and Wyeast, however the Saison is going rather slowly despite being on a stir plate.

I'll be there at 10AM or earlier to drop off the ingredients and equipment. If I have time I'll crush the grains beforehand.

looks like im getting up early tommorrow...which is ok because I was off today. i'll be up at 9 so if you don't see me in the garage...ring the dorrbell a gazillion times.....someone will answer

packed, carboy, burner propane "(empty) mash tun, wort chiller, pot, funnel, **** to build a keggle am i forgetting anything?

beer!

I'm bringing 2 fermenters because I'm bringing a roommate so we're doing 10g.

Fly mentioned bringing his big pot, so I was going to not bring mine, but maybe I should as a backup.

I'll be bringing some Apfelwine, Stout, and Dunkelweizen to share as well.

I won't be able to attend after all. I have to go sign some paperwork in Rockville for a house we're trying to buy.

I'm a sad panda :(

Hey all, sorry I couldn't attend, I've been crazy busy this month. Let's start planning the next one...

How did it go?

chris.

CallMeZoot said:
Hey all, sorry I couldn't attend, I've been crazy busy this month. Let's start planning the next one...

How did it go?

chris.

Was a hell of a day. Started mashing around 11:30am or so after a quick trip to the propane store and waiting for ingredients.

We did 20g of Wit, and 10g of FrankenSaison.

First thing to note: We screwed the first 2 batches of Wit up so bad, that FrankenSaison was just a nightmare of stuff thrown together. Random ingredients, including the second runnings of one of the Wits - and the last gallon or so from the kettle from the first wit. All of it went in to one portion of the Saison or another. Hops were random - whatever was picked out of the bag at the interval we set was going in. I guarantee none of us will ever be able to duplicate it.

Both of my batches were bubbling in the back of the truck before we even left thanks to some serious stepped up yeast from 98 and fly.

Awesome day, can't wait for Brewday III...

I have a bunch of pics to post tomorrow when I'm not so damn tired.

Now that I'm actually awake and coherent, I'll try to better describe the day.

I got up early and was less than awake to be prepping for a full on brew day so early. We packed up the truck with 1/2g of Apfelwine, 1/2g Stout, 1/2g Dunkelwiezen, and a six pack of fruited Sorachi Saison. We stopped for ice and it took literally 20 minutes for someone to make me a fricking breakfast bagel sandwich at the store/eatery.

By the time I had my sammy in hand - we're running 22 minutes late and screaming at all the saturday morning nutjobs driving 45 miles on the highway down to 98EXL's house. Damn - dude lives in a very nice neightborhood and has a beautiful place to hang out.

We did a quick propane run, then hung around looking at 98's hop garden until flytact came with the ingredients. I can't wait to see how the hops are going to be by next summer, because the soil was great and it was a nice little garden out in the woods. We would later light a small campfire in the garden and hang out until 10:00pm.

Fly came with the ingredients, but had to run off to do something else and told us to mash him in a batch until he got back. We fired off 2 Belgian Wit's based on the Naked City White Heat and Draconianhand's Devil's Milk Recipe. I say 'based' because we would later screw it all up.

White Heat boiled up first due to a boiler issue on the Devil's Milk. We were pretty much done with our 60 minute boil by the time the second one finally got up to a boiling point. I measured out the spices beforehand and put the combined spices into a bag to put in at the ~10 minute mark. I had a bunch of 'base bags' which held the bulk of the spice additions while I was making out the smaller 'batch bags.' Right around the end of the boil, I found the batch bag for White Heat and wondered why it didn't make it in. Then I looked in the kettle and saw orange peel floating, so I had some questions about how it got in there - turns out my roommate put ALL the orange peel from the base bag instead of the batch bag of spices. So we faked in and tossed random spices in around 0 minutes just to make it work. At some point or another, due to the lack or orange peel - people randomly walked over to Devil's Milk and put stuff in it. No way to tell how much of what made it in. Then I realized that we scaled it to 10g from the original recipe - but when they asked about hop additions, I used the 5g hop amount - so I'll call that one 'Half Wit' although I think the group decided to call it 'Dimwit.'

At that point we realized we were short on pils and wheat to make more Wit (needed 10 more gallons for people in attendance) but we did have a ton of extra stuff lying around (like 9# maris, 3.5# flaked oat, 5# flaked wheat, 1# belgian candy sugar, and a few other things). We decided to just toss it all in and make a Saison. :p

Nobody knows how much of what actually made it into FrankenSaison, but my above estimate should be 'close.' 98EXL's mash tun Brewmometer was kinda F-ed up, so it read 140 the whole mash, so we don't know what the ACTUAL temp was. Then we had trouble fitting the sparge water into the cooler so had to multi-sparge. I forgot to mention - some of the sparge water was leftover 2nd runnings from the Devil's Milk - didn't want to waste any good sugars. Part of the boil for FrankenSaison even included the strained leftover from the White Heat that didn't fit in anyone's fermenters.

It tasted good AND funky (even without belgian yeast) from the Hydro sample we took. We shall see how it turns out, but likely the best beer ever made and we'll never duplicate it.

This morning - my 'super extra orange' White Heat is blowing off and I needed to hook up the tube to it. I put a 3/8" tube over the airlock on FrankenSaison just in case it decided to blow up while I'm out at the HB store today.

All in all a great time. Great brews from everyone!

My fav's of the day where clap's Oatmeal Stout and fly's Maibock.

Good write up. My batch of Dimwit blew off the hose and is now bubbling away nicely.
Beer store is called Village Pump.

Thanks everyone for a fun day.

PS: FrankenSaison also had 5.5# of pils malt and we did get a gravity of about 1.059 or something close

Seems like those starters did a hell of a job getting yeast up to super strength. My Wit blew off and FrankenSaison was going crazy, so I hooked up the smaller blowoff tube just in case. I did go to the HB store and buy a bigger blowoff so I have a backup in case the saison decides to clog the little hose.

On a side note - I was thinking last night that we need a name. HBT has SNIZZLE, GRABASS, and Yankee Inginuity - so we should get a name too.

I highly recommend something with Franken in it somewhere :)

jez, great write up! I really couldn't have said it better myself. You did forget to mention the fact we all got a lot of sun Saturday, as well as a lot of cigars were smoked :)

Clap, I have your funnel, I wondered where it came from!

I had a great time, it was such a CF that day, but oh well, I think it will be fine. My frankenwit was bubbling when I went to bed Saturday night!

I checked on the hops today, the lead off Fuggle has doubled in size since Saturday, holy smokes!

We got our lettuce and carrots in yesterday before the rain, and hopefully I'll get the rest of the seeds I germinated into the garden this week. I have **** tons of work to do back there, but I think it will really start looking awesome by Sunday....I'm so sore still from all of the work this weekend, I'm taking it easy tonight and playing GT5...gotta re-coupe from this fun filled weekend.

Where are the pics?

Pics - at home on my camera. I was so wiped out from being outside for 12-13 hours in the sun that I spent most of the day asleep.

I woke up - ran to the LHBS to grab my grain mill - came back and napped from 1:30 to 5:30, then went to sleep at 9:30.

I do plan on trying to upload them tonight, although I'm going to the gym after work - so who knows how much energy I'll have.

Back