Clearing beer in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegun

Reaction score
We just brewed a Trippel, SG was 1.086, has fermented down to 1.022 after 5 days. Put it in secondary today hoping it will clear. This is from AHS's Trippel kit. It is very cloudy, and we would like to clear it before we bottle. We know it will probably need to sit and settle in secondary for a while, hopefully attenuate a bit further. Am I worrying to much? Smells and tastes fine so far, just looks a little too much like a beverage from a Star Trek episode.

Five days is pretty quick to rack a big beer like that. Did your SG stabilize before you racked?

If it's that couldy, though, you should have plenty of yeast still in suspension to finish up whatever the yeast was going to do, so you should be okay. In the future, though, let the beer sit on the yeast longer, and your conditioning will go more smoothly and quickly.

It will clear in time. When the yeast is done, it will settle out. With more time, and some cold, all the other stuff will clear out, too.

TL

Yes you're worrying to much, your not even giving it the customary 1-2-3 which is regular for much smaller brews then you have made. I have a couple that were 1.070 OG made on 11/19 they are still in the primary as Im typing. All good things to those who wait.

I got a 1.081 I made Thanksgiving weekend still in primary. It ran nice and stable around 74°F for about 15 days and then started cooling down. I am not sure if I will rack it after three weeks in primary or not.

I figure now that the party is over the yeast are just starting to clean up, so I am leaving the beer and yeast together for a while longer. Planning to bottle in late January. Might not, might bulk age a couple months longer instead.

I did a big starter that kicked off pretty quick, fermented at 68 to 70 degrees. The SG was 1.026 on day 3, then 1.022 on day 4 & 5. I imagined I'd be leaving it in sec. for at least 2 months. This AM, the top 1/4 inch is looking a lot better. Lesson learned. Thanks, guys.

Back