It's Upgrade Time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDarwin

Reaction score
Got married, got some wedding money, and then got the approval I need to make some brewery adjustments.

I'm trying to decide if I should go with 15 or 20 gal brew-kettle, and a good burner to pair with it. I do PM batches now, but when I finally get some more space I'll be stepping up to FG. I plan to do 5, 10, and possibly 15 gal batches.

My kreezer also died on me last week, and I'm considering an upright freezer for the next build (for easier loading/unloading).

Any thoughts?

It's easy. If you plan on doing any 15 gallon batches, get the 20 gallon kettle. You can always do 10s in a 15, but it is hard to do a 15 in a 15.

It's easy. If you plan on doing any 15 gallon batches, get the 20 gallon kettle. You can always do 10s in a 15, but it is hard to do a 15 in a 15.

What about 5s in a 20? I guess I could always revert back to my old aluminum kettle for that (probably be a good idea even)...

Also, if I get a 20, and I can swing a boilermaker, what other manufacturers should I consider?

Blichmann's website recommends the 30-gal kettle for 15-gal batches... but I haven't tried this so I don't know how realistic their estimate is. You may be able to do a 15-gal batch with a 20-gal kettle.

Just sayin'.

Blichmann's website recommends the 30-gal kettle for 15-gal batches... but I haven't tried this so I don't know how realistic their estimate is. You may be able to do a 15-gal batch with a 20-gal kettle.

Just sayin'.

I can do a 5 gallon batch easy in a 7 gallon boil kettle, so I think it wouldn't be a stretch to do 15 in a 20. Multiplying both by 3 is 15 and 21.

You just have to stand there and not walk away.

Congratulations on getting married!

Thanks!

If I could swing a Blichmann, I'd not worry about looking any further.

Is that the general consensus? They certainly seem worth the premium, but I thought I'd get some input...

Just sayin'.

I doubt I'll be doing too many 15 gal batches, just the occasionally mega-brew. In general I plan to do 5s/10s. I'm already worried about doing 5G batches in a 20... a 30 seems ridiculous, but thanks for putting that idea in my head ;)

I love my blichmann kettle but now I wish I got a 15-gal kettle instead of the 10-gal. Oh well...

Latest posts

Back