Grain Mill Vs Grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophocles

Reaction score
Has anyone here used both a grain mill and a grinder?
Would the beer using the mill come out better than the grinder?

I've been told that a mill crushes the grain and leaves the husks more or less whole, while a grinder cuts the grain and the husks. Doesn't that make the mill better?

I would appreciate your views as I am between a mill that cost GBP 275 and a grinder that costs GBP 65. The price difference is huge! And I'm trying to understand why. :confused: I will be using initially on speciality grains but am thinking that I may eventually use for an all grain.

http://www.hopshopuk.com/products/view/328/beer-making/equipment/mashing-equipment/the-maltmill

http://www.hopshopuk.com/products/v...ment/mashing-equipment/cast-iron-malt-grinder

Thanks!

Sophocles

I use that same grinder when I crush my grains at home, and I get around 95% conversion, and a total when finished of almost 82% efficiency. Once you adjust the gap (discussed here), you'll find that a grinder can produce just as perfect a crush as you can get with the poshest grain mill.

Charlie Papazian, the father of homebrewing in the USA, has always used a grinder, and has produced more award-winning beers than any of us can ever dream of doing.

The purpose of milling grain is to separate the husk and to expose the inside of the kernel so the starches can be converted quickly. The reason you want the husks to remain in tact is to create a good filter bed to aid lautering. Both peices of equipment will work well in a homebrewing environment. Technically, the grinder is made to grind wheat into flour. It uses a set of plates that can be adjusted far enough apart to attain a good crush for brewing. The roller mill is more akin to what professional breweries would use. It has two knurled rollers, that will pull malt through and crack it. Roller mills tend to do a better job of keeping the husk in tact.

If you are on a budget, there is no reason a "grinder" will be bad. It might take some tinkering to get a good crush. A lot of people here use them, so I'm sure you can get good advice.

Latest posts

Back