Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah it just looks somewhat oily more than anything...the photo does kind of make it look worse than it probably is.

SG is at 1.014, and OG was 1.051 which puts it pretty close to FG (~72% attenuation I think). Hydro sample tasted great BTW.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Home Brew mobile app

You could be right about the pic. Sometimes digicams can make things look worse than they are. But this one looks suspicious. As long as it smells & tastes good,go for it. I've had some that started looking suspicious on bottling day that turned out fine.

If this turns out to be an infection, it will be my first and by far the most expensive one :) It's a robust porter so I don't know how that will work out as a sour.

Just a few days in the barrel, I have some thick gunk on top, but I assume that's just some secondary fermentation from the maple that was in the barrel. Below that look like there are some nasty bubbles starting to form.

I filled this barrel with water at 190f with metabisulphite and let it sit for 8 hours. After I drained added around a half of a bottle of whiskey in there splashed it around and dumped it. I don't know how I could have sanitized any better.

IMG_3404.jpg

Sorry for sideways pic. No editing options on phone app. Anyway, can anyone tell me what is going on with this white film on the side of the carboy (under the waterline)? Its throughout the carboy. Fwiw, extract brew, 62ish degree ferm, and first brew to not bubble the airlock although did obviously krausen and ferment. Thanks.

1395679824396.jpg

The yeast in my robust porter came out dark like that. Like cooked liver.

It's strange right after I posted this, I looked in and everything looks fine. I wonder if C02 was just trapped under the krausen. Fingers crossed and I'll check in a month :)

It's does look exactly like cooked liver!

If this turns out to be an infection, it will be my first and by far the most expensive one :) It's a robust porter so I don't know how that will work out as a sour.

Just a few days in the barrel, I have some thick gunk on top, but I assume that's just some secondary fermentation from the maple that was in the barrel. Below that look like there are some nasty bubbles starting to form.

I filled this barrel with water at 190f with metabisulphite and let it sit for 8 hours. After I drained added around a half of a bottle of whiskey in there splashed it around and dumped it. I don't know how I could have sanitized any better.

View attachment 188139

just because you wondered: a robust porter works very well as a sour, i'm kegging one tomorrow for a party in may.

I'm have no idea what this is, I had some extra starter wort left over because I ran out of lids. I put the remainder in a gallon jar and left it open for an hour or so. The next day I noticed some bubbling at the surface but I did not remove the foil cover. This is at day 3.

Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'll keep it, check the gravity and taste along the way. Might be kinda cool. Plain 1.040 2-row pale malt wort, boiled for 15 minutes.

140325_001-62608.jpg

140325_002-62607.jpg

Hm,looks like maybe brett?

I brewed in my kitchen, and although I cleaned up first, it isn't the most sanitary room in the house. The dog and cat live in the kitchen when we're in there, and I probably had a window open.

How soon do you think signature flavors could be detectable? I've never worked with anything but yeasts.

Sorry for sideways pic. No editing options on phone app. Anyway, can anyone tell me what is going on with this white film on the side of the carboy (under the waterline)? Its throughout the carboy. Fwiw, extract brew, 62ish degree ferm, and first brew to not bubble the airlock although did obviously krausen and ferment. Thanks.

That's definitely yeast settling. I just had one do that. no issues

I brewed in my kitchen, and although I cleaned up first, it isn't the most sanitary room in the house. The dog and cat live in the kitchen when we're in there, and I probably had a window open.

How soon do you think signature flavors could be detectable? I've never worked with anything but yeasts.

Even though it's a small amount,it could take a while. Although I've never done a Brett myself,I just know what it looks like.

brett is a yeast and if that is brett, you can't tell by looking at that picture you posted, it will develop flavors faster in that small quantity of wort if that's what you are trying to do. normally it takes a few months to a year to get the strong classic flavors. when used alone it tastes pretty clean initially then slowly changes over time.

it will develop flavors faster in that small quantity of wort if that's what you are trying to do. normally it takes a few months to a year to get the strong classic flavors. when used alone it tastes pretty clean initially then slowly changes over time.

So with this being one gallon any ideas on how soon to take a sample. It's completely sealed with saran wrap and sitting on the counter at 75'. It hasn't changed in appearance.

Thanks,
Henry

So with this being one gallon any ideas on how soon to take a sample. It's completely sealed with saran wrap and sitting on the counter at 75'. It hasn't changed in appearance.

Thanks,
Henry

well, there are a number of brett strains sold commercially and many more in the wild so if this was an accidental wild yeast contamination there is no telling what it is or what will happen. set it aside and watch, it will be interesting if it is wild yeast.

This contamination has spurred an interest. I just bought the Wyeast Lambic Blend and the Brett lambicus to see what they taste like. I've had some commercial lambics but not sure what flavors came from where... I also did the malt-and-water lactobacillus concoction in a gallon jug to see where that goes. This got interesting quickly.

Possible infection starting?

Racked this Hoppy Wheat over to secondary for dry-hopping on 4/20 and noticed some white film/yeast/CO2/hop residue on top today (4/23). Looks slightly suspicious but beer tastes fine and smells pretty good (Amarillo+Simcoe dry hop). Took sample from bottom and also scooped up a section of white stuff and both tasted fine.

Probably worrying about nothing but thought I'd check. Any ideas?

photo.jpg

That looks absolutely normal
My golden rule of beer, brew it and pitch the yeast then don't even go check on it for at least 2 weeks, sometimes 3.
Opening it every few days is how you get an infection.

Racked this Hoppy Wheat over to secondary for dry-hopping on 4/20 and noticed some white film/yeast/CO2/hop residue on top today (4/23). Looks slightly suspicious but beer tastes fine and smells pretty good (Amarillo+Simcoe dry hop). Took sample from bottom and also scooped up a section of white stuff and both tasted fine.

My primary is a better bottle but moved it to a bucket for dry-hopping (hard to squeeze those bags down the neck of the better bottle carboys. Only opened it once since the transfer (to take these pictures). I'll bottle it tomorrow and unless it looks weirder/worse I'm sure its fine.

That looks absolutely normal
My golden rule of beer, brew it and pitch the yeast then don't even go check on it for at least 2 weeks, sometimes 3.
Opening it every few days is how you get an infection.

This looks totally fine.

I think your best bet is to ship it to me so I can drink it. I love yeast infected must.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398523626.677401.jpg

Yay or nay? In the kitchen ready to bottle so thoughts appreciated :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398595874.392249.jpg

Decided to bin it. The slick had spread rapidly over night.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Any idea how it happened?

Often we hear of infections, but nobody explains what might have gone wrong.

it's mostly a guessing game unless you see your dog take a few licks of wort out of the bucket. wild yeast and bacteria are everywhere all the time so a slip up in the cleaning and sanitation regimen could also lead to infection.

Any idea how it happened?

Often we hear of infections, but nobody explains what might have gone wrong.

Too much headspace for the length of time in primary. Should have ideally been bottled after 2 weeks but life got in the way and it was 4 weeks.

Too much headspace for the length of time in primary. Should have ideally been bottled after 2 weeks but life got in the way and it was 4 weeks.

Headspace and time shouldn't matter.
When a batch of beer is sanitary, even in a bucket with a relatively large headspace, it remains that way until the sanitary conditions change, like opening lids, taking samples, racking, adding adjuncts, etc.

With buckets there is always a chance for air to be sucked in from under the rim, so keep that area clean and sanitized well. I even wrap "Starsaned" plastic wrap around the rim.

I keep a lot of my stuff in primary for well over a month. Some things I don't even put to secondary.

Headspace shouldn't do anything as long as its fermenting - then there is a pressure of CO2 which will blow anything out.

Did you sanitize everything? Did your hands ever touch the must? Did you sneeze into the bucket? These are the likely culprits.

Went to keg a red ale and found this. It's been over 3 weeks. What do you guys think? Smells fine but strong (it was gonna be something like 6.9%). I also don't want to infect my keg.

0428141713_zpsef08eabe.jpg

0428141714_zps613c933f.jpg

Sorry my phone isn't real "smart"

UPDATE:

I put the lid back on and posted those pictures....then (about 20 min or so later) it looks like this now. Tasted it and it actually tastes really good.

IMG_0012_zps40498a6c.jpg

Tough call. That's one funky lookin' krausen. I personally have never seen an infection that looks exactly like that. How's it taste?

Went to keg a red ale and found this. It's been over 3 weeks. What do you guys think? Smells fine but strong (it was gonna be something like 6.9%). I also don't want to infect my keg.

0428141713_zpsef08eabe.jpg

0428141714_zps613c933f.jpg

Sorry my phone isn't real "smart"

UPDATE:

I put the lid back on and posted those pictures....then (about 20 min or so later) it looks like this now. Tasted it and it actually tastes really good.

IMG_0012_zps40498a6c.jpg

If it went away it should be fine. Looks normal. If it looks like this its infected. Though that one was purposely infected :D

1398729601475.jpg

Latest posts

Back