what would make a good substitute for a hydrometer test tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tall skinny vase
Champagne flute if tall & skinny
Clear vinyl tubing (w/thumb on the bottom)
...basically anything tall, skinny & clear will work.

The tube the hydrometer came in.

I did this for a while. Not ideal, hard to keep it aplomb to the hydro doesn't stick to side, but it worked in a pinch. Hard to find many things that are nearly a foot tall, clear, and thin enough to not have to use a quart of beer to take a sample.

use anything, just make sure it's sanitized and dump the wort back into the fermenter

Rivenin said:
use anything, just make sure it's sanitized and dump the wort back into the fermenter

I'm not to keen on the idea of dumping wort back into fermentor. "I read the (post your infection) thread". I just used the tube my hydrometer came in for today and should get the graduated cylinder I ordered tomorrow.

depends on how much beer you want to waste pouring it out after the test.

personally, i studied a lot of BJCP stuff to figure out what i could comfortably FORGET, and I will again use my hydrometer if there is a problem I cannot figure out otherwise.

(I don't care about 4.3 versus 5.8 so I drink till i feel it, and don't enter competitions. ymmv. have fun!) one day won't kill you, unless you happen to die.

Back