Cutting oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExHempKnight

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm being paranoid here, but I'll post this to the HBT gods for a more experienced opinion:

I recently installed weldless fittings in my new boil kettle. After drilling the holes, I wiped the area down with a dry rag, then installed the fittings.

My question are as follows:

1) Should I be concerned that I didn't use any kind of solvent to clean the cutting oil from the area before installing the fittings?

2) Will a scrub with BKF, a couple of test boils (to determine evaporation rate), plus an overnight soak in Oxyclean be sufficient to allay my fears?

I'm kinda hoping I won't have to take everything apart and ****** the whole pot with alcohol, and then reassemble. I've already had to repair the threads on one of the stainless close nipples (dicked it up trying a different installation), and don't feel like having to delay this weekend's brew day if I irreparably damage anything else.

Any help offered is most welcome.

Nonsense!

*****es are vinegar. Not alcohol.

I suggest you clean the vessel with the same cleaner you would use to clean after you brew.

Latest posts

Back