How much extra hops to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a Brown Ale this weekend and bottling for x-mas gifts. Below is the original recipe

6.6 lbs. Gold Liquid Malt Extract
½ lb. British Pale Grain M&F two row (cracked)
½ lb. British Crystal Grain M&F (cracked)
¼ lb. Cara Pils Grain (cracked)
¼ lb. Chocolate Grain (cracked)
1½ oz. Willamette or Fuggles
1 oz. Willamette or Fuggles
1 tsp. Irish Moss
2 tsp. Gypsum
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - British Ale

I plan on adding 1lb of honey and another 1lb of DME to this for some extra flavor/abv.

Should I increase/change the hop amounts or schedule? Will the addition of these ferment ables add a sweetness if I leave the hops alone?

Thanks in advance

That's a lot of hops for a brown ale already. Most of the recipes in Daniels' "Brown Ale" use 1-2 oz. With the increase in ABV and more hops, you'd be looking at some odd-ball Dark ESB or a Brown Porter.

The honey ferments out almost completely, but the extra DME would make it a bit sweeter. More hops would balance out the sweetness and you would be back where you started with a higher ABV needing longer aging.

Not saying it wouldn't be good though.

So because the ABV would be raised this beer would no longer be classified as a brown ale? The DME I was thinking to add would be extra light DME if that matters

More because of the hop levels, but there are "Texas Browns". I try not to be a BJCP, but the higher ABV will also mean the ale won't be ready for the holidays.

If you want the sweetness, don't increase the hops.

I don't see how it wont be ready for the holidays. We still have 7 weeks until x-mas. Thats 3 for fermentation and a whole month for aging. Something 6.5abv should be good by then no?

Back