Where did all of this junk come from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob869007

Mmmmm Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made this brew today. I only used 2.5 oz of hops. Where did all of this junk come from.

DSC_0004.JPG

Here is another view

DSC_0001.JPG

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/1/2008Batch Size: 5.50 gal

Brewer: Angry Bob Boil Size: 6.91 gal Boil Time: 90 min

Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)

Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.90

13 lbs Pale Malt
.5 lbs Crystal 10
.5 lbs Crystal 20
.5 oz gypsum added to mash-in water
1.5 oz Simcoe hops (90 minutes)
1 oz Cascade hops (20 minutes)
.5 Irish Moss (20 Minutes)
Wyeast Labs 1056 American Ale yeast (starter)

Give it a shot if you'd like. :mug:

Looks like great cold break to me! Coagulated proteins from cooling the wort - usually means you cooled it nice and fast. It will settle out.

Thats just a cool benefit of using a clear primary. Depending on the beer you can end up with more or less of that, as the yeast start to get really active, you will see similar stuff shooting all over in there like mad. One of my favorite parts of brewing is watching the fermentation process.

It will not cause off flavors.

I wasn't sure what it all was. Cold break. I have heard of it but I never saw it before. I strained the wort as I poured it in to the primary. I had to clean and sanitize the strainer three times because it kept clogging. It is mostly on the bottom now. It appears to be 3 inches deep. The blowoff tube is really working. Thanks again.

Did you use Whirflock? Every time I use that stuff I see that in my fermentor, when I dont, it isnt there.

I agree with The Pol. That looks like the way whirlfloc pulls stuff out of suspension.

Regardless. It'll settle out.

It is mostly on the bottom now. It appears to be 3 inches deep.

I think you will notice over the course of a few days, all the break material will settle and compact to <1 in. by the time fermentation is complete.

The first time I used a clear fermenter I saw the same thnig and thought WTF???? Like everyone else said, good job cooling. RDWHAHB

Back