Dump the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerthanyou83

Reaction score
So far i have noticed that you almost never dump out your beer.... BUT i was just woundering how do u know if its a bad brew? what are the only reasons you would dump the beer?:confused:

The only way I would recommed it is if you are locked in your closet and a fire breaks out and there is nothing to put it out with other than your beer.

The only way I would recommed it is if you are locked in your closet and a fire breaks out and there is nothing to put it out with other than your beer.

Nope. I would try to smother the fire with my body first.

I just knew...beer isn't suppose to taste like band aids...the longer I left it the worse it got...i didn't brew for awhile to say the least

I dumped one once. I was chilling the wort with ice pack with some kind of jelly in it and one was broke open. I didn't know tell it was to late. All was well my wife felt bad for me and let me buy some new stuff the next day and start a new batch.

I have dumped - well, partially dumped - twice. First was my first brew, coopers canned bock that I amped up by boiling a pound of raisins in a pint of rum, only to find that when boiled, raisins release tons of icky tannins, and my fermentation temps were way too high. Assbock, I named it, and even after six months of aging still tasted horrible. Second batch was a recent Amber Wheat where the dry yeast did not start for four days, then was really slow in chugging along; it had a horrible plastic taste. I sent samples out to a couple of BJCP judges who both gave it a 26 out of 50, which is probably drinkable, identified "chlorine-phenol and tart off flavors" but I could not stand it and needed the bottles so I dumped it as well. I know I am going to Beer Hell for this ...

I've got a Raspberry Wheat I've been tempted to dump so that I can use the bottles on another batch. I went with too much Raspberry in it and I'm just not a fan of the beer. I'd rather drink the blond or brown ale I made which is much much better.

I've got a Raspberry Wheat I've been tempted to dump so that I can use the bottles on another batch. I went with too much Raspberry in it and I'm just not a fan of the beer. I'd rather drink the blond or brown ale I made which is much much better.

what about mixing 1/2 rasp wheat with 1/2 blonde in one glass?

I've only dumped one batch of beer. Due to a comedy of errors, my oatmeal stout ended up tasting like burnt, wet dog... totally undrinkable.

Out of curiosity, did you use the rasp flavoring or real raspberries? I made a rasp wheat once with that swill flavoring... terrible. Real raspberries result in a TOTALLY different beer.

Out of curiosity, did you use the rasp flavoring or real raspberries? I made a rasp wheat once with that swill flavoring... terrible. Real raspberries result in a TOTALLY different beer.

I used Raspberry puree but way too much of it. It's got a very tart finish. I've heard this will mellow and that's why I haven't dumped it yet.

I used Raspberry puree but way too much of it. It's got a very tart finish. I've heard this will mellow and that's why I haven't dumped it yet.

Did you boil the puree or dump it into your fermenter?

edit....

--or-- did you pasturize at 170 degrees in the bk before putting it into the fermenter?

I have a mixed berry wheat that has been sitting for 3 or 4 months now. It was a plain old Mr Beer wheat kit. I racked onto some mixed fruit, let it sit for about 10 days then bottled. What I ended up with is clean, very thin but nicely carbonated beer that has absolutely no sweetness left. Its hard to drink alone, has not got better with age but tastes okay when you mix it into some fruit juice. :rockin:

I dumped my very first beer because it was fermented so hot and fast that it was basically undrinkable. The other thing I have dumped was homemade soda. It just didn't tickle my personal fancy and I got tired of looking at it. I am not a fan of yeast carbonated soda.

Did you boil the puree or dump it into your fermenter?

edit....

--or-- did you pasturize at 170 degrees in the bk before putting it into the fermenter?

It is the Oregon Puree which is already steril so it went straight into the primary.

hmmm... interesting. I'm suprised it wasn't better... was the base beer of a fuller body?

It was the American Wheat from AHS. I think my mistake was that I used 2 cans of the puree in primary when I should have went with one in secondary.

My thoughts: if a beer is not one I care for, I dump. If a beer is sub-par I wouldn't hesitate to dump it to clear up a keg. Why would I want to suffer through a keg of lousy beer?

However, if I bottled I would be more likely to stash it away to see what happens down the road.

My thoughts: if a beer is not one I care for, I dump. If a beer is sub-par I wouldn't hesitate to dump it to clear up a keg. Why would I want to suffer through a keg of lousy beer?

However, if I bottled I would be more likely to stash it away to see what happens down the road.

In the same sense, couldn't you bottle it and stash it away rather than dump it? (non-sarcastically asking)

LOL..... so far i have learn that if there is a fire to A) try and smother it with my body or B) drink 5 gallons of beer and piss it out, That if your beer taste like wet burnt dog to man up and drink it, and not to add to much fruit to my fermentor..... beside that u NEVER THROUGH BEER OUT! Ohhh unless an icing jell packed broke open. Then its ok. :tank:

LOL..... so far i have learn that if there is a fire to A) try and smother it with my body or B) drink 5 gallons of beer and piss it out, That if your beer taste like wet burnt dog to man up and drink it, and not to add to much fruit to my fermentor..... beside that u NEVER THROUGH BEER OUT! Ohhh unless an icing jell packed broke open. Then its ok. :tank:

precisely :rockin:

my very first batch, before i found HBT, i brewed a Belgian White. i hadn't bought bottles when i got my HB kit andkept putting it off andputtingit off. i ended up going out of the country on vacation and the beer ended up in primary for 5 months. i figured after a month it wouldn;t be drinkable. never opened it to smell it or taste it.

when i finally dumped it smelled delicious! :cross:

I have 15-18 dollars invested in most of my standard gravity batches, for the money I would rather dump a beer I'm not fond of. As for bottling it up, I only have like 25 bottles that I use for sending comp beers, so to bottle a poor batch would mean spending money on bottles to save a beer I don't like for later.

I have never dumped a batch of my beer. I had one I was going to dump, but my neighbor loved it, so he drank it instead of me dumping, the beer wasnt bad, I just didn't care for the flavor of it. (it was an American wheat) I find I prefer the flavor of a Bavarian hefe more, so why drink a beer I don't like?

I have 15-18 dollars invested in most of my standard gravity batches, for the money I would rather dump a beer I'm not fond of. As for bottling it up, I only have like 25 bottles that I use for sending comp beers, so to bottle a poor batch would mean spending money on bottles to save a beer I don't like for later.

I have never dumped a batch of my beer. I had one I was going to dump, but my neighbor loved it, so he drank it instead of me dumping, the beer wasnt bad, I just didn't care for the flavor of it. (it was an American wheat) I find I prefer the flavor of a Bavarian hefe more, so why drink a beer I don't like?

I was just wondering if technically it could be done. If I was to get into kegging and wanted to age some beers to free up my keg.

I dumped one once. I was chilling the wort with ice pack with some kind of jelly in it and one was broke open. I didn't know tell it was to late. All was well my wife felt bad for me and let me buy some new stuff the next day and start a new batch.

Thats a good idea, but i will put the ice pack in ziplock bag first

jacobjc said:
Thats a good idea, but i will put the ice pack in ziplock bag first

I dont know the next day i went out and bought a wort chiller. Best money i spent on brewing equipment.

Back