Probably Under Pitched - Yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I just made a tripel (1.082), and used the pitching calculator to figure how much yeast to pitch. I always hear about how these belgians finish up in about 7 days. After 7 days I was down to 1.018 and it's still SLOWLY bubbling. I crash cooled the previous beer and figured that may have actually reduced my viable yeast count, and possible under pitched resulting in a slow fermentation. I have been gradually increasing the temp to keep it going.

I know that 8 days isn't an eternity to finish up a 1.082 beer, but it seems like I should be able to do it if I pitch the right amount of yeast, control temp, etc...

My question: Is it slowing down due to lack of nutrients at this point? Would yeast energizer or nutrient help speed this up? Is there a down side to trying?

Fermentation slows very much after 5-7 days, so this is normal. 1.018 sounds like a decent FG for a larger beer...so I'd give it a few days to finish up just in case. Check the gravity again and see if it changes.

Sounds like everything is on track so far! :)

That tripel should finish up below 1.010, which is why I'm a little worried. I was hoping it would be closer by now.

I think it will be fine. More time is always the best way to make sure a beer finishes. If it does stall out, just adding nutrients may or may not restart the fermentation. If a large amount of yeast went dormant, then they will only ferment slowly, and the nutrients won't help too much. Aerating now to build cell count will just oxidize your beer.

From reading, people say you need to try either a) a known yeast that likes to start stuck ferments, like Premier Cuvee wine yeast, or b) pitch a starter at full krausen. When those active cells hit the wort, it will get them going on whatever is left in the beer.

But I would also say 1.018 isn't a bad gravity to be at at all in 7 days!

Well, I haven't brewed a LOT of beers, but my personal experience that I don't always get the FG I want or 'should' get. :) This is especially true for extract beers, and bigger beers. It depends on the fermentability of the wort, the yeast used, and the temperature.

I did have an IIPA once (1.082) that was finishing a bit high, so I warmed it up and roused every day (gentle swirling) for a week. It brought it down another 0.04 points, but it still finished at 1.024.

So, I think its good to warm it and give it more time. Mine took 1 week to drop 0.04 points, and then it stopped. I don't think nutrients would help at this point, but I don't have too much experience with that. You might just end up a little higher gravity than planned.

Either way, good luck!

I would like to add one more point. There is still a TON of yeast in suspension. When I pull a sample it's full of yeast. I'm assuming that this means they are still active, but just slow at this point?

I would like to add one more point. There is still a TON of yeast in suspension. When I pull a sample it's full of yeast. I'm assuming that this means they are still active, but just slow at this point?

Probably. What temp are you at? And was this extract? Assuming you're not extract and used a good recipe, you should definitely be getting below 1.018 on a tripel. However, as others have said, it's only been seven days and it's a big beer, so it's certainly not time to worry.

Yeast nutrient won't help at this point. The yeast need nutrients during their reproduction phases.... you're way past that. With Belgians, you're best off ramping the temp at the end until TG is reached and then cold crashing. Your cold crash would have significantly slowed the ferment and potentially stuck it.

Just so we are clear, I didn't cold crash the batch that's fermenting. I did however cold crash the previous batch for about and week and re pitched from that cold crashed yeast.

Just so we are clear, I didn't cold crash the batch that's fermenting. I did however cold crash the previous batch for about and week and re pitched from that cold crashed yeast.

That shouldn't be a problem since many people cold crash their starters.

Back