Another high gravity problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theschick

Reaction score
I didn't want my very first post to be one with a "problem", but I guess I'm looking for some guidance and/or reassurance.

I brewed my first batch of beer recently. It was an extract kit w/steeping grains from the LHBS. Its designed to be a guiness style clone. My OG was 1.052, which is close to the expected amount listed in the kit. Two weeks later it was only down to 1.038. The kit came with Munton's Ale yeast.

Its first two weeks of life were spent in a cool basement, around 60-64 degrees. After the disappointing gravity reading, I moved it up to my closet, where it has been sitting around 74. Reading through advice on the forum, I gave it a little bit a swirl, but I'm undecided if that is a really recommended. I plan on taking another reading tonight, but lets say it still is sitting high, what's next. Just chill out and hope it does its thing? What about adding more yeast?

warming it up was the right first step. i would wait a week after moving it before taking an SG reading. it wont hurt the brew and might give the yeast some time do do a little fermentation. what was the recipe?

Most of your yeast may have dropped out of suspension at 60˚ or at least slowed fermentation. But 74˚ is too high to ferment. You may wind up getting all sorts of off flavors from stressed yeast.

I'm not sure about repitching but I would certainly find a way to get and hold your fermentation temp to 66˚-68˚. I would look into putting the primary into a Rubbermaid type tub and use submersible aquarium heater to regulate the temperature. Just keep an eye on it until you get the temperature stabilized.

Back