Effect of discarding blown off wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicholasH

Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into homebrewing, and in my previous batch, which was also my first except for a Mr. Beer, the amount of wort that got pushed out of the blow off tube seemed pretty large. Around 20% of liquid got pushed out. I've read that the blow off carries some of the less pleasant flavors out of the beer, but the amount that I lost to this process last time seemed excessive. So I'm considering using a larger fermenter next time around, and just letting everything (or most o it) fall back into the beer. But I'm wondering, what sort of difference would this make to the final quality of the beer?

Were you fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon fermenter? That's a lot to lose to blow-off.

20% is 1 gallon from a 5 gallon batch. That's too much beer to lose! What size carboy/bucket are you using? I used a 5 gallon glass carboy for my first couple of batches, but switched to 6.5 gallon ale pails when I realized how much I was losing!

Bingo, 5 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy. Not a good idea? I'm thinking about a switch to one of the bigger plastic buckets for the primary fermentation.

Bingo, 5 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy. Not a good idea? I'm thinking about a switch to one of the bigger plastic buckets for the primary fermentation.

You need a fermenter with some headspace for the krausen! Losing some beer to blowoff should be a rare occurance, not part of each batch.

You want a 6.5 gallon container for a 5 gallon batch.

Back